Lace Ipe Baron F.P.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bitshird

bitshird

I've turned 10 or so pens out of Ipe, It is a very hard dense wood, that will nearly buff to a high luster with out any finish, most of the time Ipe is pretty plain looking with out much character, however this blank was sent to me by a friend who does decking, and works with and curses at Ipe a lot, The pen is a TI Baron Fountain Pen, with a custom button finial, and one of DCbluesmans Heritance SF nibs. it's finished with 5 coats of thin CA and two medium coats, These pictures don't show half the beauty of this wood,
Thanks Steve

as usual comments and critiques are welcome and encouraged (as long as they don't make me cry) :biggrin::biggrin:

Attachments

• Ipe-Baron-1.jpg
    Ipe-Baron-1.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 277
  • Ipe-baron-2.jpg
    Ipe-baron-2.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 280
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redfishsc

Man, that is some nice Ipe. I've made a few pens from it. I sprayed a few of them with lacquer, and it just flaked off.

I hope your CA will stick to it long term, because it's certainly a top-notch piece of art! Great shape and fit!

jskeen

Excellent job there. Fit, finish, custom touches all very well executed. I found a while back that if I'm doing a custom finial on a baron, I make them shorter than I would for a Jr. Gent, since there is no cup for it to sit down in. It looks like you measured the stock finial that you knocked off and turned the wood one to match, just like I did for the first few. Then I decided to see how a larger one would look, that almost matched the OD of the top of the cap. It looked interesting too, especially if I got close to matching the taper of the metal on the wood rather than having it rounded right to the edge. The best thing about the baron kits is that the centerband is very easy to replace since it comes disassembled unlike the csusa kits, which have to be pressed apart.

Lately seems all I have been doing are csusa kits though, probably because we very seldom seem to do a group buy from a Berea reseller. Don't know why that is though. :)

Last edited:

akbar24601

Ken, you certainly did that blank justice!!! That is a beautiful pen. That kit is great with that wood. Hope you didn't have to practice too many obscenities while working with it. LOL

talbot

Lovely pen, and the blank is incredible.
Great finish and the finial gives it that little 'extra'.
regards, Bill

bitshird

Ken, you certainly did that blank justice!!! That is a beautiful pen. That kit is great with that wood. Hope you didn't have to practice too many obscenities while working with it. LOL

Steve, Before I started I said 10 our Frankenfurters and 4 blessed Riff Raffs.
and 1 Forgive me father for I'd like to sin

VisExp

Ken, that's a nice looking pen. If it's not going to make you cry :wink: I have to say that I find the finial a bit to tall. It seems out of proportion with it's diameter.

bitshird

Ken, that's a nice looking pen. If it's not going to make you cry :wink: I have to say that I find the finial a bit to tall. It seems out of proportion with it's diameter.

Keith, Yup you did it that did make me cry, but I have to agree, the cap is a wee bit too tall, I was suffering form a bad case of bronchitis, and wasn't paying attention to the overall until I had glued it on, I forgot or didn't notice the clip finial is not recessed on the Barons, I have a couple more pieces that I'll try as soon as I can stand up for a while.

Top Bottom