label cast

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Glenn McCullough

I finally got this first label cast done after several tries. I really learned alot! and thank Don Ward for his experience and advice.This is the logo for our local woodturning group (DAW>>>Detroit Area Woodturners). Perhaps the local IAP chaper will be next.

Attachments

• DAW pen 001 - Copy.JPG
    DAW pen 001 - Copy.JPG
    41.5 KB · Views: 179
  • DAW pen 002 - Copy.JPG
    DAW pen 002 - Copy.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 333
  • DAW pen 003 - Copy.JPG
    DAW pen 003 - Copy.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 173
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

djpnevans

Looks good Glen. I have tried to do this using a few types of labels with no luck. What type of label do you use and do you cover the label before you cast it.
Thanks David

Lovely work Glenn, did you use a pressure pot?
Looks good Glen. I have tried to do this using a few types of labels with no luck. What type of label do you use and do you cover the label before you cast it.

No pressure pot, I just mixed and poured, but am getting the 2.5 Liter Ultrasonic Cleaner from HF to get rid of the bubbles.
I used Avery 5264 white shipping labels. I did have issues with the first couple, one being the edges lifting, so I glued them down on this one, with med. CA. I just probably didnt let the label dry long enough.

Druid

Very nice, I use the ultrasound cleaner as well and find itworks wonders with degassing PR 41 and Alumilite. It actually helps mix the dry powders.

dexter0606

Looks very good!!
I haven't gotten into the casting part of this hobby yet but I have done a few "decal logo" pens that I guess are similar. I use clear decal film, print the logo on my inkjet, let dry for a day, coat with decal set, let dry and apply the logo to my finish turned pen. Let that dry for a day and then apply a couple of quick coats of thick CA at slow speed to make sure all the edges are covered. Then turn up the speed and apply another 6 coats of medium CA. Plastic polish and done.
I've attached a photo of my first attempt. Since this one I have received an order from a local charity for 12 pens

Jeff

Attachments

• Bridges1.jpg
    Bridges1.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Top Bottom