LA State prison pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from workinforwood

workinforwood

Here's a couple pens from Eugene in LA state prison. I read this letter and have to wonder...what's to motivate a person not to go to prison??? He has a full time job working for some humanitarian outfit where he makes something like $7.50 an hour. Basically half that money goes back into the prison system and he keeps the rest. He has quite a bit of tools, a turncrafter lathe, a 20" dewalt saw and more. The prison has craft shows too, where he can sell items and keep all the money. He purchases supplies from PSI, Berea and CSUSA by sending them a list of whatever he wants and a money order to pay for it. His pens are pretty good too. Not sure the finish on his wood, I'm going to say it's probably a friction polish, but his fit is pretty good and they are not out of round. I kept the red one, probably dyed box elder, and sent the others back. Don't really know if I was to keep one or all or what, so I split the difference. The red one is a bit underturned at the centerband, but he probably doesn't have calipers, or just hasn't reached that level of perfection yet. Pretty interesting anyhow.

Attachments

• ceramic 009.jpg
    ceramic 009.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 309
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tim self

Looks like he does a pretty good job. We all started there and give him time and he will get there. I commend him for having a "hobby" to occupy his time. And hats off to you as well for extending a hand to him.

rjwolfe3

Look pretty good. Even though they don't allow a lathe at our prison, some of these guys turn out crafts that put mine to shame. They do it all with fingernail clippers, sandpaper, and time. A inmate showed me his version of a hand crafted pen the other day. The body was popsicle sticks that he sanded round. He used a Bic refill. He even had a cap too.

Daniel

Jeff, My hat is off to you. I set here and try to think of how I woudl takcle this situation. First the Guy obviously has some sort fo strike against him. But for me that is not a write off. He is also showing some not so easy to accomplish attempts at making some good decisions as well.
Next, How could I support him and not have to commit undo time to doing so.
I would start a word file, Excell or whatever word processing program you have. and simply cut and paste psots fromt eh group that might be helpful to him. there might be some bits lacking in that photos cannot be included. but still, finishing, turning, tools etc. there is a ton of bits and pieces that could be helpful to him.
I would then print and mail it every 10 pages or so. let him sort what he needs and does not need. Also let him know that you are just sending any info that looks good to you and that you don't necessarily think he needs it all.

workinforwood

I have wrote him some tips and suggestions to help out. If anyone is interested in sending him tips, he is happy to have me supply you an address to write him. I just sent him how I do a CA finish..maybe he'll figure that out. He only knows from what he see's in catalogues through pictures and deconstructs what or how he thinks it was accomplished.

I have no way to scan a photograph, but he sent a photo of himself with a clock he made from wildwood designs. It's one of those bazillion hole cut fret clocks that stands easily 6 foot tall. Those are not my thing, but it looks real good for what it is.

Top Bottom