Ky Burley Barn Oak

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Gary Max

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Max

These are from a Burly Tobacco barn that was built in 1928. The barn fell in a storm and was disasembled and saved by us. My wife and I spent a month tearing apart and cleaning the lumber. All the 2X's are Oak and as hard as a rock. We used part of the lumber to build our showroom 2 years ago. I used a sanding sealer and Hut crystal-coat. I tried using red oak stain--- but the wood is so hard it would not soak in. We still have a bunch of this wood.

200517221440_FreedomPen5.jpg

200517221520_FreedomPen6.jpg

20051723948_FPen1.jpg

200517231011_FPen2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

Gary should get an A+ for turning these. He sent me some samples and I thought is was a brick made to look like wood [:D]

So how was it to turn? Can't really tell by the photos on my end, the one is to far away and the other washed out, remember I got the bad eye.

Is there a nice grain pattern? At least you made what is probablly the worlds only indistructable pen. [:D]

Gary Max

Anthonty--they turn just like the feel--hard as a rock.
I did use your ideal for sanding sealer--worked great
I will try a pic of one pen and see if I can do better.

R.T,---January 19th will be one year without a cig---heck of a deal for me---I smoked three packs a day for 32 years. I looked like I was on fire most of the time. Yahhh I am bragging.

Oh I am going to have these blanks for sale as soon as my shipping supplies get here.

WoodChucker

Gary, congrats on the no smoking! Wish I could quit for good, I've stopped for six months 3 times and each time I gained so much weight that I went back to smoking. I'll have to shed about 100 pounds before I try it again. [:(!]

R.T.

PenWorks

I hear you RT. I thought that was great he quit too.[:)] But don't ask him how much weight he gained. [:(!] That's a touchy spot, [}:)]

woodman928

Gary
Nice looking pens and way to go on the no smoke I used to smoke 3 to 4 pack a day and quit in 87 I still find myself reaching for a cigarette at times. You never really get over wanting a smoke it just gets easer not to light one. Oh yea in about another year you will probably find that food never tasted so good.
Keep up the good work ( that's pens and no smoking)
Jay [:D]

jkirkb94

Fanatastic pens, Gary! And very big congratulations on quitting!!! I'm hoping that more people will follow your example. Here in Oklahoma, the cost of tobacco products went up about 55 cents a pack on Jan 1. The tax will go toward health care. I had a patient who successfully quit smoking after more than 50-60 years of smoking Camel non-filters and Lucky Strikes; threw down a cigarette and went cold turkey and never went back! It CAN be done. Kirk[8D]

The pens are great but the no smoking is fantastic! I speak from experience - it is hard to do. I quit in 78 but still every once in a while it smells good. FINALLY after 50 years of smoking, my hubby left the last of his cigs at the bar new years eve 11:58pm and said I QUIT! So far, so good! He tried the patch the first day and said it made him jittery so has done in cold turkey since. Pray that it works for him!

M

Mudder

Originally posted by Gary Max
<br />
R.T,---January 19th will be one year without a cig---heck of a deal for me---I smoked three packs a day for 32 years. I looked like I was on fire most of the time. Yahhh I am bragging.

As long as we're bragging. May 26th will be my third anniversary.

Here are my stats from a program called quitcounter:

Scott - Free and Healing for Two Years, Seven Months, Fifteen Days, 12 Hours and 36 Minutes, while extending my life expectancy 69 Days and 21 Hours, by avoiding the use of 20129 nicotine delivery devices that would have cost me $4,188.64.

The program gives you encouragement and helps me justify the tool budget to momma [:D]. You can find it here and it's freeware;

http://www.xarka.com/freeware/

Oh yea, I quit cold turkey on my first real try. Never thought I could do it but I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom