Kuro Negoro Urush inspired pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jontello

Jontello

I have been working on trying to get an urushi looking pen without the actual urushi. This pen was inspired by my visit to Manu Propria's studio a couple months ago. His work is incredible and I hope to dabble in urushi pens in the future but until I have time and funds I will have to continue to imitate them. I was able to see the Kuro Negoro Urushi Pens which are incredible. I wanted to create something similar so this was my attempt.

According to some of Martins explanations of the Negoro,

"Kuro Negoro Nuri lacquerware is covered with an undercoat of black lacquer covered by a coat of red lacquer or vice versa used as vessels for food and drink offerings to the gods and buddhas, tableware and drinking vessels, tea utensils, and stationery came to be known as negoro. This term originates from Negoro-ji, a temple in Kishu."

This pen started out with a wood base. I tried doing something similar by applying many layers of different paints, sanding down, applying CA, more sanding repeating the process. This was done several times until I finally was able to achieve this look. It took a couple weeks to do because of the drying time between coats. I really like how it turned out. After taking pictures of the pen I replaced the nib with an lacquered Jowo Black nib which I thought was a better option for this pen. Hope you like the look of the pen. Thanks for looking.

Jon

c5d777ce912b40afdd45fd1a4b9f6464.jpg
64ba72ee955d9b688345057a13e0071b.jpg
f031fffe6bac0cf3babae2adf609fdc6.jpg
3b8a35bd749975e1bc6859d85ca6d459.jpg
c54d6d10043fc43e8b8f222677da256a.jpg
877a4463c253ec8050583dcaa040d4f1.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

If you hadn't told us it was a faux urushi finish we would have thought it was the real thing. Did you send Martin pictures of your pen? What did he think of it?

I might as well ask because someone will eventually. What kit is the section from?

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Imitate away Jon - It is beautiful.

Nice to see your skill set expanding with such excellence. Well done. Oh, we miss you in sunny Ohio!

magpens

Jon ... you have done a fantastic job on that pen !! . Congratulations !!

Thanks for the super pictures and the diagram !

Jontello

Glad you all liked the pen. The kit I used for the section is the jr Morgan. It used a jowo #6 nib which I can change out so I like to.

Mark I miss you all in Ohio. Hopefully will be back to visit in a year or two and I can join you all for some meetings and maybe one of the MPG meetings. I will keep growing and hopefully have something to teach you all.

I am thinking I would like to try different colors underneath other then the red. We will see how this looks like. I will keep you all updated on it.

Top Bottom