KOA and Rosewood.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from firewhatfire

firewhatfire

2 years and 4 months and it finally happened. I made a pen that fit her specifications. She wanted a smaller diameter and lighter fountain pen. So I finally took a virage kit and shortened by 3/4 inch. Comments and critiques are welcome and thanks for looking.
null_zpsba00ed6f.jpg

null_zps4d78e28c.jpg

null_zps87927c29.jpg

null_zps72e24468.jpg

null_zps106ce48c.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

May I suggest, put the pen on a stand or a prop if you must but get rid of your hand from the photo. Not a good look. No need to show comparisons. We all know what a pen size looks like.

mdm0829

Great looking pen. I would post some of mine, but since I am not a photographer, I have decided not to. I thought this was a pen turners site, not a photography site. The people I show mine to don't seem to mind looking at my hand along with the pen.

firewhatfire

:peace::peace::peace::party::peace::peace::foot-in-mouth:Aw heck, I have been trying to get my hand into the hand model association. Plus a stand is never around when I am looking to take a photo. That might be why I never update my site,now that I thinks out it.

Thanks for the kind comments. Maybe I can do better with pics.:wink:

jttheclockman

Great looking pen. I would post some of mine, but since I am not a photographer, I have decided not to. I thought this was a pen turners site, not a photography site. The people I show mine to don't seem to mind looking at my hand along with the pen.[/quote]

Not sure what to make about this comment but if it is a crack about my comment here is my answer to you.

If you can not take a decent photo of any pen you make then why bother posting it anyway. Keep showing them to people who can see your hands. That is a super reason not to post your pens at least in your mind I am guessing. It takes such little effort to post a decent photo that we all can see and enjoy the fruits of your labor. You took the time and care to make the pen and your excited to show it off and we are excited to see it then why not just a tad bit more effort to post it. I am not a photogragher as well as many many many people here are not and yet there are some very nicely posted pens.

My comment about showing his hands with the pens was a real comment. It was a real critique. If he chooses to ignore it then so be it. I can not tell someone what to do but I am allowed to make suggestions. I really do not care to look at someones grubby hands. Laying the pen down takes very little effort the last time I tried it.

I just do not get the thought process when people post pens here sometimes. No this is not a photograghy site and yes it is a pen turning site but to me it is also a site where we take some pride in our work that we want to show off our best work to our peers and putting a little more effort into the photo is all part of it if you ask me. These are my thoughts.

How about this....

I took the liberty to make adjustments and add a background so we can see the pen without the hand. I hope you don't mind.
I, too think the pen is stunning, I also think it loses something in it's display with the hand.
John, your "May I suggest" opening was a truly gentlemanly way to begin a critique and I wish all began that way.

Attachments

• null_zpsba00ed6f.jpg
    null_zpsba00ed6f.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

Jjartwood

Great looking pen, The blank is out of this world, The overall look of this pen is top notch.
I'm amazed at the ability glue that much stuff together and not have pieces stuck to everything including clothing,workbench and yes, hands.
Nice,Nice job.
Mark

Jim Burr

Banned
Great looking pen. I would post some of mine, but since I am not a photographer, I have decided not to. I thought this was a pen turners site, not a photography site. The people I show mine to don't seem to mind looking at my hand along with the pen.

Wouldn't be much of a site if no one ever posted pictures! We ranted this out a month or so ago. I take pic's with my phone and upload those. If I wanted to be a photographer, I'd stayed out of medicine. Pic's are pic's and unless they totally useable, post 'em!

alphageek

Former Moderator
I just do not get the thought process when people post pens here sometimes. No this is not a photograghy site and yes it is a pen turning site but to me it is also a site where we take some pride in our work that we want to show off our best work to our peers and putting a little more effort into the photo is all part of it if you ask me. These are my thoughts.

And here is my thought process John - I COMPLETELY understand the desire to share a pen that I am proud of (as the OP here should be - its a GREAT pen), but don't want to have to spend a bunch of time to get a "perfect" photo.

To get a perfect photo means getting out (or having already set up) the camera, stand, lights, etc. I then have to transfer the photo to a pc, resize it, etc - and then upload to IAP.

If I snap one with the iPhone, I can upload right from there to the site and be back to what I need to do.

In other words, if quick but less perfect pictures means more pens in SOYP, then I think its a win.

jttheclockman

And here is my thought process John - I COMPLETELY understand the desire to share a pen that I am proud of (as the OP here should be - its a GREAT pen), but don't want to have to spend a bunch of time to get a "perfect" photo. Who said anything about having to be perfect??? Surely wasn't me.

To get a perfect photo means getting out (or having already set up) the camera, stand, lights, etc. I then have to transfer the photo to a pc, resize it, etc - and then upload to IAP.

If I snap one with the iPhone, I can upload right from there to the site and be back to what I need to do.

In other words, if quick but less perfect pictures means more pens in SOYP, then I think its a win.[/quote] I disagree here because what is the sense of posting a photo that is out of focus, too dark to see any detail and so on??? Posting of the words NICE PEN has lost alot of meaning here at least to me it has.

Well sir I will disagree with you again. There was a ton of time that went into that pen blank. I know because I have made them. You tell me it would take an entire different photo setup to set that pen down on a sheet of paper or a board of some sort??? What are a couple more minutes to do that. Are we all in that big of a hurry in this world that everything has to be done so simple so we move onto the next thing. ???? It really is ashame.

I said nothing about taking photos with any piece of equipment. You did that. There have been some fine photos taken with phone cameras. Heck some fine photos using scanners.

All I am saying is this is a pen turning site and yes it is not a photograghy site but sure as heck there is enough info posted in the library and also threads where people have actually taken their time to explain how to take a decent photo. We do not need magazine style photo shoots but how about a photo where we can see the pen and the design if you made one. Is that way too much to ask. If that person who commented about my hand remark doesn't want to show his pens for the stupid reason he gave then I don't even want to see them.

We are a foum full of pen turners so you are presenting your pen to a group of peers, not your family and friends. We or at least I would like to think that you will take the time to show us a product that I am sure you are gaga over and want us to see it in the best of photo as you can. To me there is no excuse to just throwing a pen down and snapping a photo for the sake of showing. How about giving us a little respect here too. Many photo sites where you can do so many things to clean a photo up or enhance it. Yes it takes abit of time but if you don't have it then so be it. You get the results that you get with the comments when you show your pens. People here ask why do not more people comment on my pen??? Well maybe the answer lies within this thread.

Again these are my thoughts and all I did was suggest that the OP would be better off showing that great work without his grubby hands. A very quick fix if you ask me. But this has taken on more life than I intended it to.

Happy photograghy!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom