Knurl twins

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Skewer

Skewer

Two pen blanks combined into ... two pen blanks. Tasmanian fiddleback blackwood and some type of rosewood (bolivian?) :bulgy-eyes:

I also have a third here with bees-wing narra and buckeye burl. The buckeye burl was a short and had a nasty knot in the middle, so i just cut it out and stuck the narra in the middle.

c&c welcome!

Attachments

• Capture6.jpg
    Capture6.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 187
  • Capture7.jpg
    Capture7.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 133
  • Capture8.JPG
    Capture8.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 126
  • Capture10.jpg
    Capture10.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 107
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skewer

Greetings from Lexington, Travis!

It's CA. After I've turned down to the bushings, I put the tube directly between centers and use a skew held flat to scrape and make sure things are perfectly round. I also measure or just compare with the bushings to make sure the blank is a little undersized and will allow of the build up of the CA. Three coats of thin and ~6 coats of medium ca, applied with the little bags from pen kits on a mandrel. Then i but the tube back between centers and do the same thing with the skew, gently scraping off the lumps of CA. I'll take 320 or 400 mesh sandpaper and very gently wipe it to create a dull surface - not so much sanding as creating some contrast to look for shiny spots, valleys, bubbles, spots, etc. I'll continue going back and forth through the skew and sanding until I've got things all even and don't see any 'defects,' then make another pass with the skew and start sanding to 12000. This process makes sure things are round and even for me - and don't have dull spots or valleys that the sandpaper might miss while polishing. Using the skew to clean off the 'extra' CA came from a suggestion here on IAP, and I consider it great advice!

Charlie_W

Greetings from Lexington, Travis!

It's CA. After I've turned down to the bushings, I put the tube directly between centers and use a skew held flat to scrape and make sure things are perfectly round. I also measure or just compare with the bushings to make sure the blank is a little undersized and will allow of the build up of the CA. Three coats of thin and ~6 coats of medium ca, applied with the little bags from pen kits on a mandrel. Then i but the tube back between centers and do the same thing with the skew, gently scraping off the lumps of CA. I'll take 320 or 400 mesh sandpaper and very gently wipe it to create a dull surface - not so much sanding as creating some contrast to look for shiny spots, valleys, bubbles, spots, etc. I'll continue going back and forth through the skew and sanding until I've got things all even and don't see any 'defects,' then make another pass with the skew and start sanding to 12000. This process makes sure things are round and even for me - and don't have dull spots or valleys that the sandpaper might miss while polishing. Using the skew to clean off the 'extra' CA came from a suggestion here on IAP, and I consider it great advice![/QUOTE

I too do a built up, turned CA finish as Skewer stated. Usually, I turn blank about 4 to 5 thousandths undersize before adding the CA, build up larger and scrape back down to about 2 thousandths larger than desired finished size. The sanding process takes it where it needs to be.
Same finishing except, after getting to 12,000G, I then use the plastic polish by Barry Gross....applied by hand lengthwise with the lathe off, let dry to a haze, then buff off by hand lengthwise again with the lathe off. No rotational scratches being introduces here. Lastly, the 2 wheel buffing wheels set up by Barry Gross. I orient the blanks to the buffing wheels so they are only being buffed lengthwise. Again, no rotational scratching(no matter how fine) being added to the finished pen.
Hope this helps too.
Good luck on your finishing!

Top Bottom