Knot in mystery wood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jtate

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtate

Anybody got any idea what kind of wood this is? It would really have been a good idea to make a note of that before turning the blank, wouldn't it? Geez, you'd think I'd learn.

Anyway, I'm still trying to get that knot down. I think I'm getting there. This is a lacquer dipped finish over CA to seal and strengthen the wood.

DSCN0667a.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jtate

Hmmm... Maybe but it's not as red as Bloodwood usually seems to be. COuld it be Blue Gum? Somehow I have a memory of a pen blank of Australian Blue Gum and this might have been it. Anybody got any idea what Blue Gum looks like?

Julia

jtate

Could this be Blue Gum wood from Australia?

I'm trying to figure out how to price pens. Any suggestions by private message or in this thread would be appreciated.

bobskio2003

It's a nice pen but tough to tell the type of wood without closer inspection. It appears to look more like Bubinga. I can't remember what Blue Gum looks like but I didn't think it looked that red. Bob I.

Snazzypens

Not Jarrah from Australia??? When not the burl it looks very plain like redwood. Just a suggestion
I do hope you work it out
bye Toni

BigRob777

I'd have to go with blue-gum also. I know that redgum looks very similar though. Honestly, the more I know about wood, the less confident I am with my guesses.
It's a gorgeous pen though.
Rob

bgray

Do you mind sharing what kit that is?

It looks like a standard Berea kit, but I've never seen those black "O" rings on the threads.

Did you add those, or are they part of the kit?

I've always hated kits with metal threads, but maybe those rings offer a good solution...

jtate

I think it came from PSI. It's called PK-PAR 10FT. I got several of these Kits from Pens of Color Link

http://pocwoodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=703

The O rings came wit it although I have added them to a couple of kits when the rings weren't there. The rings make it much easier to post the cap and the cap feels more secure when the pan is capped after use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom