To Be or KNOT To Be

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jttheclockman

jttheclockman

This is my attempt at the Celtic Knot themed pen. This being a twofold presentation.

The yellow pen is dressed with a Sierra Vista kit. It is yellowheart with redheart, yellowheart, holly and black veneer for the knot.

The red pen is dressed in a Sierra kit. It is redheart with yellowheart, redheart, holly, and black veneer for the knot.

They are both finished with 5 coats of CA and polished with acrylic polish. I had to use 2 different sized kits because at this time that is all I had. My pen orders are not working out. Oh by the way I have been asked a couple times if the design goes all around the pen so I added the last photo. Thanks for looking.

yellowheartsierra-1.jpg

reheartsierra-1.jpg

comboknots-1.jpg

-animated-pen-knot-good-file.gif

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KiltedGunn

Local Chapter Leader
Those are gorgeous, John!

I'm planning a sliding table for my bandsaw and then I'm gonna HAVE to try a knot or three! :cool:

Lee aka KiltedGunn

jttheclockman

great!! now I have to go delete my attempt at the celtic knot that I added 5 minutes ago. I was so proud of it too!! nice pens.:mad:

Do not do that. Show it. Many of people here have made knots and some have made knots like this and even better. This is just my attempt at it. I have alot to work on. There are many tutorials in the library that show how to make knots. You can use a tablesaw like I did, a bandsaw, a miter saw or a scrollsaw. Some even use a hand miter saw. Many ways of cutting them and many ways of decorating them.

everybody just calm down...:biggrin:.I was not really going to delete it. That was just my way of saying that yours put mine to shame. in fact I'll use yer thread to show it(if i did it right) by the way...my band saw will cut a half moon but not a straight line. ARG!

Attachments

• celtic top view.jpg
    celtic top view.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 140

jttheclockman

So great. I specially like the red one. Did you made them for some customers or for your private use ?

George

I started out just making them to see if I can do it. I made one other knot before this and saw all the mistakes so I compinsated and thought I would try the multicolored thing and this was the results. The yellow has been spoken for and the red is probably on the way out the door also. I will probably make a bunch for sale and do a few different things now that I know what the process is. Still learning though. May try it with the bandsaw also.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Also thanks for looking.

jttheclockman

Pens look great and the finish is nice. I am really intrigued by the last photo. Can you elaborate on how to do that?

Perry

There is nothing special about it. I quickly put this together in PhotoShop using the animation graphics. I was asked a few times in emails if the design goes all the way around and thought I would show this. There are people that have never seen the Celtic Knot thing applied to a pen so they were intrigued to say the least. There is people that do this all the time here and are better at it. Just look at some of the avatars. Happy Turning.

Top Bottom