KNOT

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from brokenbit

Status
Not open for further replies.

brokenbit

Everyone is doing knots, so here is mine,It has 6 cut with 2 different wood in the segment
The photo sucks

Haven posted in some time ( new computer )

20077252065_tripple%20knot%20close%20up.jpg

200772520745_ttripple%20knot.jpg

Bernie

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kenwc

I have a tough time getting my brain wrapped around how that's done unless I'm reading a tutorial. But to just look at it I can't tell how to do it. Pehaps I'd better get a catscan.

jtate

Hm....

Remember I'm tool-deficient. I tried to do a knot on a piece of cylindrical wood this weekend and could not figure out how to make the cuts even with just my little miterbox and hand saw.

It's a shame too because this is really cool wood, called Grapia from the Amazon. A friend gave it to me and said they don't export it anymore because of environmental concerns. I'll keep messing with it and, should you feel inclined, I would value your input.

Julia

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Bernie,

Looks like a really good job!!

You don't make it easy on yourself, running the pattern from top to centerband - any deviation from horizontal will be visible, in fact, accentuated by the hardware.

I would suggest you reduce your angle (as little as 10 degrees should do), so that you leave a little wood between the end of the pattern and the hardware. This will also make it look more difficult (in spite of the fact that it is really more forgiving) in the eyes of the potential customers.

FWIW - hopefully helpful suggestions - [;)][;)]

All this from someone who has NEVER done a PEN with a knot!!!

PR_Princess

Bernie,

I really like the color combo of the knot - plays into the celtic theme very well!

(So Ed, I can look forward to you making a knot pen sometime soon, then??? [}:)][}:)][:p])

GaryMGg

Julia,

Originally posted by jtate
Remember I'm tool-deficient....
I'd take a square, oversized blank and draw a regular hexagon on each end of the blank. Then with a straightedge, connect the corners down the blank's length. Now, you can saw, plane or sand to the line.
When you finish that you have a 6-sided blank.

Used block planes are fairly cheap and plentiful at many antique malls as well as online.

Gary

Texatdurango

Originally posted by alphageek
<br />
Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />Take a peek at a "stop" sign, it's a clue!!![:D]

Ok, now I'm confused! How is an 8 sided stop sign going to help make a six sided blank??!
I think Ed might be sniffing liquid toner again...

Cutting a blank into a hexagon shape will make a 6 line knot, cutting a blank into a octagon shape will give you an 8 line knot.

George (toner free thinking [:D])

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
LIQUID toner!!!

Wow, haven't heard that in YEARS!!!

George may be as old as the hills and almost as old as ED!???????

Yes, an eight sided object CAN be a clue to a hexagon, if being compared with a square, but we won't go there - too deep for this crowd. Sorry![8][8][8]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom