Not open for further replies.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Snakewood

20069823012_Snakewood%20Jr%20States.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chigdon

I have one that is about 1 year old and I repaired the cracks with black CA and refinished it. Then about 2 months later 2 new cracks!

myname1960

So how many ppl sell these snakewood pens and what do you tell the new owner about them cracking.

If it seems to crack just by sitting there what happens when they get used?

Any negative or upset returns on them?

I would like to try some but not sure if its worth it.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I'm not sure that I have any secrets to keep snakewood from cracking, but here's how I handle the blanks. First, I make sure the blanks adjust to my shop environment for a couple of weeks (six months is better). I drill at full speed but only drill far enough for the bit to get warm, then I let it cool. I sometimes have to drill over a two day period. Next, I coat the inside and ends of the blanks with thin CA and wait overnight. I redrill the blanks, then re-coat the inside and ends with thin CA. I turn very fast but take very light cuts...almost like working with polyester resin. I leave the blanks about 1/32" to 1/16" above the bushings, then coat with thin CA or sanding sealer. Wait overnight and begin sanding. Stop sanding if the blank gets warm to the touch. You may need to sand over two days. The next part is critical. Apply another coat of sanding sealer or thin CA and let the blank rest for 2-3 days. Do a final light sand and buff, then set aside for a week. Deburr all ends and assemble. Let sit for another week or two to see if any cracks develop. That's my method.

As for problems with customers, I warn anyone who is interested in snakewood about the inherent dangers. I also explain that I guarantee my pens...period. If it cracks I repair, replace or refund at my discretion. Fortunately, I've not had one come back yet.

Thanks, again, for the kind words.

BigRob777

Lou,
I have a perfect record with snakewood, I'm 0-0. Not bad for a beginner. BTW, awesome pen. I'm holding off on my one blank, until I'm better at it, also holding onto my 2 Eagle blanks.
Rob

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
According to several professional stabilizing companies and Bill Baumbeck (who's been having wood stabilized for longer than I care to think), snakewwod cannot be stabilized due to its density and oiliness. Seeing as I still find something to learn just about every day, it might be worth experimenting, though.

wood-of-1kind

Lou, thanks for all the tips but how did you possibly score 14-0[?] With all the waiting time in the batters circle I estimate that it would take me 7 years to complete 14 snakewoods[:eek:)] Nice score with the snakewood pen.

-Peter-[:)]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thanks, Peter. Like many others who use lacquer for finishing, I've had to learn 1) patience, and 2) to keep multiple pens at all stages of the process. A couple of folks here on the site can vouch for the fact that a snakewood pen takes me over a month to make once they order it. [8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom