Knife handle scraps

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MikeL

MikeL

Hate to toss away some stabilized knife handle scraps and had an itch to make a pen. The wood is desert ironwood in the center with black ash burl and black G10 spacer material. The pen is sitting on top of some future knife handle material,desert ironwood Burl. Thanks for looking.

4A187D44-3323-4885-A54B-AF001CAADC6C.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hate to toss away some stabilized knife handle scraps and had an itch to make a pen. The wood is desert ironwood in the center with black ash burl and black G10 spacer material. The pen is sitting on top of some future knife handle material,desert ironwood Burl. Thanks for looking.

View attachment 179076

What a great idea!!! I have an old oil quarter drum full of cutoffs. Most of them are Curly Koa and they would all make great spacers. Thanks for sharing.

Skie_M

Just a minor nit I noticed while looking .... Why is the one black spacer towards the bullet end of the pen thicker than the other three? Beyond that, gorgeous wood grain in your selection, and beautiful fit and finish... :)

MikeL

Just a minor nit I noticed while looking .... Why is the one black spacer towards the bullet end of the pen thicker than the other three? Beyond that, gorgeous wood grain in your selection, and beautiful fit and finish... :)

You have an eye for detail. I didn't notice until you pointed it out. The are scraps from knife handles. I put spacer material (G10 in this case) on most of my knives. Not all spacer material is the same thickness. If I study the picture more, the spacer immediately to the left of the ironwood looks thicker. I think? Maybe those should have been matched up on the pen better. Good eye!

Skie_M

Nah ... look down towards the bottom of that left side one, you'll see it's the same thickness as the other 2 ... the far right one is the only thick one. The one you're looking at just happens to have a band of dark wood immediately to it's right that follows it along the curve for a bit ... if you look at the lower part you see where it fools your eye. :)

Top Bottom