Knife Concept Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mhbeauford

mhbeauford

My first try at a knife concept pen, inspired by Tim, thanks Tim:) Jr. Gent in Gunmetal, 1/8 in. Aluminum spine and rivets, Black veneer next and Deer Antler scales. Glued up with 5 min epoxy, turned round and drilled in collet chuck. Used carbide tool to turn, light cuts. Cut most of the time moving left or right and using the corner and side to cut much like a metal lathe tool. turning was OK, cut the aluminum and antler nicely.

Center drilled, then pilot hole with 1/8 in drill. Made shallow cuts with large drill, withdrawing and misting the drill and hole with water to cool it. The drill and aluminum will get HOT and that causes the epoxy to release. On the cap, the larger hole, when I removed it from the collet one glue joint opened up and I held 2 halves !:eek: Glued it back with CA, easy enough.:)

Sanded and finished with CA and polished like plastic. By the way antler is porous and needs to be flooded with CA during finish turning and sanding.

1_Knife_Concept.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wiset1

Hi, Martin

The best thing is that you tried something new! I always tell people that and it's the truth. Inspiration comes in many forms so I'm happy that my work spoke to you.

You pen looks really nice and the use of the materials. I am left wondering what happened to the threads on your pen though???

So now that you've done this pen...what's next? :biggrin:

mhbeauford

Hi, Martin

The best thing is that you tried something new! I always tell people that and it's the truth. Inspiration comes in many forms so I'm happy that my work spoke to you.

You pen looks really nice and the use of the materials. I am left wondering what happened to the threads on your pen though???

So now that you've done this pen...what's next? :biggrin:

Wax. I wax with renaissance wax, including the threads. Apparently I didn't get the threads cleaned well. Should have noticed it while photographing, oh well.:rolleyes: It cleaned OK.

Tim, I used epoxy and clamped the laminates together, when you use CA, do you use med or thick and do you clamp? I like thin glue lines. The thin laminate stuff seems to need to be clamped with a caul or another layer to keep it flat. your experience?

Thanks

Top Bottom