Kitless three colour Anodised butterfly pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BradG

BradG

Much happier!
You may have caught my previous butterfly pen I posted yesterday which had some flaws which were bugging me. This time around I got the result I was looking for :)

I hope no one minds creating a new thread for this one.

Attachments

• butterflyre1.jpg
    butterflyre1.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 201
  • butterflyre2.jpg
    butterflyre2.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 199
  • butterflyre3.jpg
    butterflyre3.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 186
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I like it Brad. I was going for that shade of black down in Florida at Mike Roux's house when we discovered we failed to turn on the Hot water pan. Had to leave it in the dye while the water heated up. It is pitch black. :redface:

I like the outline on the Butterflies. Very cool friend!:wink:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I like the random outlines for the butterflies! They look very much an "intended" design element. Nice job!

BradG

I like it Brad. I was going for that shade of black down in Florida at Mike Roux's house when we discovered we failed to turn on the Hot water pan. Had to leave it in the dye while the water heated up. It is pitch black. :redface:

I like the outline on the Butterflies. Very cool friend!:wink:

If it happens again just leave it out in the air :) you dont need to leave it in the dye while you're waiting for the water to heat up.

I like the random outlines for the butterflies! They look very much an "intended" design element. Nice job!

The outlines are caused by leaving the pieces to soak in bleach in between dying the colours. The process is:

Anodise
Dye blue - and fan dry with cold air
Apply stickers
submerge in bleach to dissolve the exposed blue. The longer you leave it, it will soak in underneath the stickers and eat away at the outline giving the effect.
Rinse clean, and now dye it Red, and fan dry.
Process repeats.

The tricky part is judging how long to leave it in the bleach for. as you will see on my previous attempt, it ate pieces all over the place.. right up the middle in some instances. This time I got what I was after by ruffling the edges evenly

That's pretty amazing. I liked the other one but your are right this one is better.

Thanks Jim :)

Top Bottom