Kitless SS

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from stevo81

stevo81

Hi All

i posted this in the advanced pen making section and after some encouragement from "dalecamino" i thought i would also put it in this section.

This is my first attempt at making a kitless pen the whole pen is made from stainless steel, the clip is made from tig welding wire it was drilled on an angle and press fitted, it took some effort to pry out with a screwdriver when i did a test fit so hope it doesnt work its self loose over time. the body of the pen has been sanded to 240g so it has a brushed apperance, the clip and nib are polished to a mirror finish. i pouropsley left the straight part of the nib a little oversize so the die would cut a slight "grip" onto the nib.

the pen exclusing lid is only 50g which is 2g heavier than the cigar pen i have been using for almost 4 years. with the lid fitted it weighs 70g...i definately notice it in my pocket :tongue:

all comments appreciated

thanks for looking

stevo

Attachments

• IMGP1067.jpg
    IMGP1067.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 379
  • IMGP1069.jpg
    IMGP1069.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 322
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenPal

Stevo,

Stainless is hard work I know. Two things stand out for me.

1. The brushed and delightful fit body. Excellent.

2. The paper Clip shape of the Clip executed with strength and finesse.

then what a neat shape and balance to your pen.

Kind regards Peter.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
It looks good here too Steve. I have been reluctant to use the wire clip, but I do like the way you shaped this one. I'll give that a try sometime. I'm very impressed with this pen.

tim self

Really like the pen. As for the weight, what is the wll thickness? If you made another coudl it be thinned? And the clip is spot on for the pen.

stevo81

Really like the pen. As for the weight, what is the wll thickness? If you made another coudl it be thinned? And the clip is spot on for the pen.

thanks everyone for your positive comments.

the weight could be reduced by another couple grams if i was to drill a little further into the body of the pen and put some sort of spacer in so i didnt run out of length on the spring at the end of the refill. maybe the next one will be postable so i can avoid the heavy end and use the lid to make the pen long enough in my hand.

with practice and probably better taps and dies i could reduce the wall thickness a bit more and still keep the pen to a diametre that fits my hand. this one is 11.8mm dia and has been drilled to 9mm to use the 10 x 1.25 tap that i already had. i would like to get some triple start taps but havent found where i can get varying sizes (only ones for FP nibs etc). after making tis one i did really enjoy the process and would like to make more, just want to get better tools before attacking the next one :biggrin::biggrin:.

Marty

Top Bottom