Kitless Skinny Rollerball Demonstrator

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from joefyffe

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
This pen was made, as a prototype for a new design (for me at least), from clear acrylic rod, purchased from home improvement store. Components consisted of a "Diane" clip, "Private Reserve" ink cartridge, and generic spring purchased from Indy Pen Dance. This was done on 10mm triple lead tap and die. Finials were accomplished using 9 x 0.75 single start T&D's. Writing tip measures .324 (1/2" back from tip) as compared to .331 (widest point) on a slimline!! C and C requested.

Attachments

• Kitless Skinny  Rollerball Demonstrator.jpg
    Kitless Skinny Rollerball Demonstrator.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 612
  • Kitless Skinny Rollerball Demonstrator2.jpg
    Kitless Skinny Rollerball Demonstrator2.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 352

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Now that is pretty cool !!!:biggrin::good::good:

Unfortunately having to PURCHASE the generic spring from IPD is shameful !!! :eek:
You would think that Mike would have at least given you a good discount or Linda would have 'sneaked' one out of stock.
I'll have a word with them if you want:wink:

PenMan1

Nice pen, Joe! Well I guess you know where you stand with your son-in-law. I seem to recall you installing a DRO on his lathe, but you have to sneak a refill and spring?

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
LOL Joe, still a cool pen but was it rod or tube? If it was rod, then please share how you managed to get it so clear inside after drilling. That is something that I wish I could get right.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Nice pen, Joe! Well I guess you know where you stand with your son-in-law. I seem to recall you installing a DRO on his lathe, but you have to sneak a refill and spring?

No, no Andy.....he didn't 'sneak' anything:wink: Old Tight Butt Mike made him pay!!!! Can you believe it???????:eek:

OKLAHOMAN

Joe, if Mike and Linda keep doing this , I'll let you adopt me and I'll take care of you with at least a name brand spring. BTW that is one fine looking demo.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Joe, if Mike and Linda keep doing this , I'll let you adopt me and I'll take care of you with at least a name brand spring. BTW that is one fine looking demo.

Errrr Roy.......I hate to mention this, but at your age, shouldn't the adoption work the other way around???:confused::tongue:

I'm still in shock !!! I can't understand how Miser Mike could charge his old daddy-kins after good old Joe gave him his daughter!!!! :eek::eek::tongue:

IPD_Mr

I'm still in shock !!! I can't understand how Miser Mike could charge his old daddy-kins after good old Joe gave him his daughter!!!! :eek::eek::tongue:

Joe will be paying for that for some time to come, or is it me that is paying for it? :eek: (yeah I will pay for that comment)

You know I can't win for loosing. I get guff for not giving them an invoice and when I do now you guys start in.

In all seriousness it is a great looking pen. I saw this the other day and it looks darn good up close. BTW, I know how he gets the inside so clear. :cool:

IPD_Mrs

ROFLMAO. Ask him about his desk pen repair and then tell me how mean I am :p
The pen looks great (better in person), but I didn't realize you went all the way to "Germany" to make it :rolleyes:

Michael - you would do well to remember that you have to sleep sometime :tongue:

IPD_Mr

What do you think Mike? Should we expose my secret, or hold out fo some Skippy machinest training?

I think they should stew for a while. :biggrin:

Actually now that I think about it you should do like Eagle and ask, how they would attempt to do this. Get the ideas and the brains going as well as the creative juices. They may come up with a better way to do it. :rotfl:

Oh and this was from rod stock not square.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
What do you think Mike? Should we expose my secret, or hold out fo some Skippy machinest training?

Joe...look into my eyes and listen carefully:cool: Mike is not your friend, I repeat, not your friend!!! I never charge a penny for passing on stuff, but that bad boy is simply taking advantage of your good nature. :mad:
He has an evil streak in him and if I was you, then I'd be a bit concerned about Linda's welfare. :wink:

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Lynn: I didn't go to Germany to make that pen . That "made in Germany" was written on the side of that $7.00 Schmidt Ink refill you sold me!

ROFLMAO. Ask him about his desk pen repair and then tell me how mean I am :p
The pen looks great (better in person), but I didn't realize you went all the way to "Germany" to make it :rolleyes:

Michael - you would do well to remember that you have to sleep sometime :tongue:

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Roy: Are you sure you would want me to adopt you? That would make you a brother and b'inlaw to those other two. Nah, you may wish to reconsider. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

OKLAHOMAN

Heres how it's done QUICKLY!!!!!!:biggrin:
How to flame polish an acrylic duck call barrel - YouTube

I think they should stew for a while. :biggrin:

Actually now that I think about it you should do like Eagle and ask, how they would attempt to do this. Get the ideas and the brains going as well as the creative juices. They may come up with a better way to do it. :rotfl:

Oh and this was from rod stock not square.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Joe.....you sneak! You've been throwing up smoke screens with these kit pens, all the while you were covertly creating a kitless, see thru, cool pen like this. That's just dirty pool :frown: But, it DID turn out really nice:biggrin: Kudos to you pal! I really like this one. :wink:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Lynn: I didn't go to Germany to make that pen . That "made in Germany" was written on the side of that $7.00 Schmidt Ink refill you sold me!

Ok, it's 2am in the morning here. I'm sitting in a crappy hotel room with IAP on my laptop and a stupid spooky movie on TV ( The Breed, I think. About an island with dogs ) I just ex-snorted beer and it hurts!!:redface:

Heres how it's done

Jeesh Roy, don't you know that those YouTube vids are faked and rehearsed:biggrin:

Ed McDonnell

Imagine that the torch gets hung up inside the barrel and starts wrapping the hoses, dragging the tanks and turning your lathe into a time bomb with a 2 second fuse. How fast could you hit the off switch?

That could be some exciting pen making.

Ed

OKLAHOMAN

Damn it Ed err I mean Skip I now have Diet Dr. Pepper all over the computer,the wall and the floor after that post, and Dee tought I went into cardiac arrest I laughed so hard, I had completely forgot we all doctor those videos.

Last edited:

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Yeh, Roy, If I adopt you, we are going to have to discuss your loosening nibs, ahead of time, so it looks easier on u-tube than it really is. Otherwise I will have to call in the "army"!

Damn it Ed err I mean Skip I now have Diet Dr. Pepper all over the computer,the wall and the floor after that post, and Dee tought I went into cardiac arrest I laughed so hard, I had completely forgot we all doctor those videos.

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Skip: What are you there, 0 ZULU?

Ok, it's 2am in the morning here. I'm sitting in a crappy hotel room with IAP on my laptop and a stupid spooky movie on TV ( The Breed, I think. About an island with dogs ) I just ex-snorted beer and it hurts!!:redface:

Heres how it's done

Jeesh Roy, don't you know that those YouTube vids are faked and rehearsed:biggrin:

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Here it is guys! We love you all. This has been a fun chat. Actually, I think it's the most fun I've had since the hogs ate my little brother.
Rollerball refill .241 C bit .242 It's not a bad idea to hit with maybe a 1 or a 2 bit ahead of the C. Drill slow, the plastic heats quickly with chip build up. Once through with the C I ream with a .250 spiral reamer bit, lubricated with pam butter spray. After finishing with this, it's 400, 600, 1200, 2000 wet. Then it's 3200 micro mesh 3600, 4000, 6000, 8000, 12000 mm "ALL WET" Then it's cotton flannel with Novus 3 and 2. I seldom have to use 1. For holding the sandpaper, micromesh, and flannel, I take a 3/16 dowel or usually a large bamboo skewer, scroll saw a slit down the center of the end about 1 1/2" deep. I cut my MM 1 1/2 inches wide, stick one end in the slit (use caution with direction of turn) wrap, dip in water, insert into the tube, turn on the lathe, med speed, and watch it shine. All this is done on the lathe. Oh, rats! I forgot the most important step. Before turning on the lathe, enjoy a single malt bourbon, or scotch on the rocks!!!! Again, this has been a fun evening. Thanks for all your friendship. Oh, and Skip I do start with a solid rod. No tube

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
One more thing. Thanks for all the kind, fun, comments and for the sincere interest!!:biggrin: joe

AND Mike and Linda do take pretty good care of "Old Dad" I just have to be carefull that I say things in such a way as not to be advertising for family, as per the moderators. I've been scolded in the past. :frown:

Last edited:

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Ohhhhh! Probably! This was what I just happened to have on hand. I thought about wrapping a "C" - note around it, but dang it, I didn't have one of those either. :redface::redface::redface:

That's a slick pen - very 'industrial classy'...or at least it would look classy without any writing on the refill - is that possible to find?

Very cool.

wizard

Joe, That is a beauty..very clean and sharp looking !! Do you have a fountain pen version in the works ??
Regards, Doc:)

BSea

Joe, That is a beauty..very clean and sharp looking !! Do you have a fountain pen version in the works ??
Regards, Doc:)
Your question got me thinking, and it looks like there is no separate section piece in this pen. So basically the entire barrel is 2 pieces, not 3. Is that correct? Is it possible to get a section for a fountain pen that will screw under 10mm threads? Or would you have to make it 1 piece with a barrel finial?

EDIT: Oh Yeah, I really like this pen. I always seem to forget to say that when I'm looking at the details of a pen.:redface:

Last edited:
Top Bottom