Kitless Fountain Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from cnirenberg

cnirenberg

I have learned a lot from this experience. This is the result of cracking many tenons with a too coarse of a die. I finally figuered it out, with a lot of help (Thanks Butch). It is a little too squatty for my hand but it will still hold a short ink resevoir. Let me know what you think.
Thanks for your time.

Attachments

• P9190001.JPG
    P9190001.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 353
  • P9190002.JPG
    P9190002.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 255
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

Hey it's a start right? I think it's good for the first try. What thread did you use for the cap, it looks like a Churchill/El grande front section isn't it?

cnirenberg

Ken,
I used a 1/2" x 36 tap and die for the cap. I originally tried a 1/2" x 20 but there wasn't enough clearance between the two threads and it kept cracking and shearing off at the end. That's why it ended up so small. (There is a joke in there somewhere.) The nib is from an El Grande. I am in the process of knocking the plastic collar off and turning a custom piece. Now all I have to do is find enough blank to do a full sized pen.

bitshird

I've been considering a 1/2 by 56 tpi but thought the customer would get tired by the time they got the pen open or would forget what they wanted to write, and I just can't afford the tipple lead set, 1/2 32 sounds much better and less expensive.
Thanks.

ldb2000

Fantastic first kitless Cris (welcome to the other Dark Side) . Glad I was able to help .
Now you have to start casting your own blanks , you can make them as long as you want . See what you started ?

cnirenberg

Fantastic first kitless Cris (welcome to the other Dark Side) . Glad I was able to help .
Now you have to start casting your own blanks , you can make them as long as you want . See what you started ?

Yes, I am beginning to figure it out. The blanks we like are too short for a typical pen and would love to get into casting, I need a metal lathe or a Taig to turn 1/2 x 32 and 1/2 x 36 bolts for a good blind cap chuck or get a 7mm closed end mandrel (Thanks to Ben). My hand are dead tired from turning a Stainless Steel 1/2x32 rod with a round nosed scraper. I could go for a PSI collet chuck too. I could go on and on, but enough whining for now. Thanks for all your input.

Top Bottom