A Kitless Fountain pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ldb2000

ldb2000

Hi Everyone
This is an Aluminum FP with a Brass clip . It's the first All Metal pen I've ever made so it's just a plain jane body . It has a "Flex steel" Nib from Lou Metcalf (DCBluesman) , I love the way this one writes , much better then the stock Baron nib . The clip idea I stole......eerrr......learned from Skip Rat , thanks Steven :biggrin:
I'm having a blast turning metal on my wood lathe :biggrin: , I can't wait to get a metal lathe .
Sorry for the bad picture , my camera has a problem with really shiny pens and my photo skills are just soso .

1_Alumkitless1.jpg

Shameless plug :bananen_smilies068:
I'm still running the Kitless Challenge in the Advanced pen turning forum , Please go check it out and maybe even contribute your own example of a kitless slimline .

Comments as always , are welcome

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chriselle

That is very COOOL. I've done quite a few aluminum pens over the years but never a kitless. I'd like to be a fly on the wall of your shop while you are making one of these. So, Steven taught you how to do the clip and you taught Chris (Chriselle),,....... right??:biggrin:

Great pen.

PaulDoug

Really nice Butch, as usual. That clip is really neat. I just don't see what you could do to make the pen look better. I like it just as she is.

Last edited:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Now that IS cool!!!:biggrin:
But you can't blame me for the clip though.......I stole ......learned it from Bruce Boone.:wink:

Top marks:biggrin:

Skye

I punch my kid's teddy bear every time I see one of your kitless pens. I hope you can live with that guilt!

I need to see a better pic of this one. Maybe something with a lighter background?

ldb2000

Thanks for the kind words everyone . This was a fun pen to build .
I found another use for my Hunter Hollowing tool , it works great on aluminum and brass .
It is made from a piece of 1/2" bar stock for the body and a piece of 3/4" bar stock for the cap . The nib assembly is from AS , it's meant for a baron , and I added one of Lou's Steel nibs and turned a piece of 3/8" bar stock for the grip . The clip is a piece of 3/32" brass rod .

Chris , Consider yourself taught . Gotta love this forum , we all steal.....eerrrr....learn from each other :biggrin:

Neil , I thank you . All I needed was a good kick to get me going .

Steven , I thank you for all the inspiration your work has given me .

Skye , You have anger management problems . I know how to help you with that , Make a kitless slimline out of Corian then go over to the Advanced penmaking forum and post some pictures in the Kitless Challenge thread . Use up some of that misguided energy on building pens instead of picking on defenseless kids toys :eek:
Oh , and I'll try to get a better picture this weekend , after I find out which of my clepto family members stole it . I loose more pens that way .

Last edited:

Skye

I tell ya, I've barely got time to get the closed end pens down pat, I'm not even going to attempt a kitless yet. I spit out about a pen a month now a day, look to improve that soon though. I'll come knockin at your door when I do :)

tipsteve

Great Pen, Butch! Did you apply any type of finish to the pen? I did a cigar pen in aluminum and it sold right away. I don't know if oxidized over time. You have any thoughts?
Again I love your work,
Steve

Top Bottom