Kitless Custom Bog Oak Fountain Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from yort81

yort81

This Pen Started off Life as a Solid Rod of Brass (360) and a stick of Ancient Irish Bog Oak .
It Has a Bock two tone #6mm Medium Nib with a Bock Feed.
It Weighs in at 72.5 Grams Capped and 43.5 Grams Uncapped (28 grams = 1 ounce)

I Originally designed this pen as a desk pen... and I will install a brass button Roll Stop to it very shortly.. (Or leave it as is (depending on the buyers preference)
The pictures just can not display the Richness that this wood portrays when you pick it up in our hand. The Very Dark brownish... almost black with with the very dark black streaks throughout. The Heft of the pen is very well balanced and feels nice in your hands!
I left the wood and metal bare so the user can feel the sumptuous smooth grain of the wood and so the metal will patina with age.

Troy

Attachments

• IMG_5134•.jpg
    IMG_5134•.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_5131•.jpg
    IMG_5131•.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_5129•.jpg
    IMG_5129•.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 322
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

Very nice work!. I like to use the Bog Oak for the same reasons you expressed. I like the wood to show all the characteristic deep, open pore and grain texture, so I do finish it, but use just two wipes of wipe on poly, which leaves the surface very similar to your approach with unfinished. I think this is one of those designs that will work well with the eventual patina that will arrive on the hardware. Excellent pen making effort.

lorbay

When I first looked at this I just looked at the pictures and said I don't think so Tim. Then I read the post. All I can say it wow and very nice work.
Lin

Mintman

Troy, i love the pen! The bog oak and copper go well together and the pen looks absolutely fantastic closed. My only nit is that the step between the barrel and where the threads start is a little bigger than I would prefer.

csr67

Excellent work and a great design. I love the very clean lines of the machined brass with the dark wood. Amazing pen!

Charlie69

Great combination of wood and metal! Can I ask what the body o.d. is at it's widest?

yort81

Troy, i love the pen! The bog oak and copper go well together and the pen looks absolutely fantastic closed. My only nit is that the step between the barrel and where the threads start is a little bigger than I would prefer.

Mintman... i completely agree! :) Unfortunately.... to have the barrel and the cap to be even and flat together.... And to have a bit of wood that is larger than a whisper thickness... that step is the smallest i could get away with.. otherwise...I would have went with a 14mm thread on the body and the cap :)

Cheers,

Troy

Top Bottom