Kitless Ballpoint

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from ldb2000

ldb2000

This is a Kitless Ballpoint made of Aluminum and Brass . It uses a slimline transmission and a cross type refill . It has a custom center band made of brass and aluminum . Sorry for the picture but this pen is a magnet for finger prints and dust .

1_alballpoint1.jpg

As always , comments are welcome .

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

marcruby

Great job again!! Are you anodizing the aluminum in any way. I have a small number of aluminum blanks that I haven't turned into pens because I'm worried about oxidation.

Marc

ldb2000

Great job again!! Are you anodizing the aluminum in any way. I have a small number of aluminum blanks that I haven't turned into pens because I'm worried about oxidation.

Marc

I've been doing some reading about anodizing and may give it a shot sometime in the future . I've also started to powder coat and when I get it all figured out I will be powder coating all my metal hardware and pens .
For the few that I have sold , I have been including a small bottle of Weimans Metal polish and instructions on cleaning and polishing .

leehljp

Member Liaison
I really like the way you made that pen and am a big fan of that kind of clip! One of these days . . one of these days if I live long enough I am going to try that!

cdbakkum

Butch, Where do you purchase your Weimens metal polish? I am having a devil of a tome polishing my aluminum pens. Appreciate you help. Carl

tim self

When I started turning again, I said "why do I want to turn pens, they're to easy". This almost makes me want to get a metal lathe.

WoodenDragon

Local Chapter Leader
Once again Butch, Beautiful!! You never cease to amaze me!

When I started turning again, I said "why do I want to turn pens, they're to easy". This almost makes me want to get a metal lathe.
Tim, If I'm not mistaken Butch doesn't have a metal lathe, he turns everything on his Jet 1014vsi, which makes it all that more impressive to me!!

ldb2000

Thanks for the kind words everyone .
This was something that I have wanted to do for awhile .
I really like working in metals , I think the end product really has allot of visual impact .
The center band was the touch I felt was missing from my original design , so I came up with this design using a brass CB base assy and 3 brass and 3 aluminum pieces and pressed the whole assy into the upper tube just like the center band on a cigar or a jr gent .

Carl , I get the Weimans at the local a&p supermarket . The stuff works great for polishing and protecting metals and it even polishes a CA finish as well . A Qt size bottle was $5 .

Tim , Mike is right , I don't own a metal lathe ....yet ....This pen was turned on my trusty little Jet 1014vsi wood lathe . Brass and Aluminum are quite soft for metals and can be machined by most woodworking tools , Carbide turning tools last longer between sharpenings but HS steel tools can be used , you just need to sharpen them more often .

Top Bottom