Kitless Anodised Fountain Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BradG

BradG

Today's fun :)

An aluminium fountain pen, with milled sides, anodised purple.

Thanks for looking :)

Attachments

• purpleopen.jpg
    purpleopen.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 368
  • purpleclosed.jpg
    purpleclosed.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 256
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bluwolf

Very nice Brad. But it begs the question, how did you mill the sides? Did you do it on the lathe or have you already bought a new toy...err... tool?

Mike

BradG

I done it on the lathe Mike, by putting the pen in the tool holder (QTP, with V groove on tool holder) and mounting a 12mm slot cutter in the chuck. It give's you an X & Z axis if nothing else lol

I have actually purchased a vertical slide for the lathe, but I'm reluctant to drill holes in the cross slide to mount it. Think il just wait until I have the mill instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: JLL

david44

Rather nice - my problem is that I see too many ideas I'd like to have a go at! My shed isn't big enough and the managing director wouldn't agree to my taking over the house.

BradG

Rather nice - my problem is that I see too many ideas I'd like to have a go at! My shed isn't big enough and the managing director wouldn't agree to my taking over the house.

Oh you can always pick up a small metal lathe! No excuse. I'm sure with your science background you will take to anodising quite nicely

Plan B is build a bigger Shed!

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Stunning colour there Brad!!:biggrin:

I made a base plate for my Vert slide. Countersunk holes from under the plate for the slide and suitable holes in the corners of the plate for the cross slide t nut channels. :wink:

BradG

Stunning colour there Brad!!:biggrin:

I made a base plate for my Vert slide. Countersunk holes from under the plate for the slide and suitable holes in the corners of the plate for the cross slide t nut channels. :wink:

I considered it Steve, but I don't have any T slots on my crossslide. :mad:

david44

Oh you can always pick up a small metal lathe! No excuse. I'm sure with your science background you will take to anodising quite nicely

Have got a mini lathe (super conquest) as well as the small wood lathe. Shed full - site manager would veto extension plans - she's a gardener!

JLL

I done it on the lathe Mike, by putting the pen in the tool holder (QTP, with V groove on tool holder) and mounting a 12mm slot cutter in the chuck. It give's you an X & Z axis if nothing else lol

I have actually purchased a vertical slide for the lathe, but I'm reluctant to drill holes in the cross slide to mount it. Think il just wait until I have the mill instead.

Great pen Brad - I like the method mite try it out - what speed did you run the chuck at ?

Last edited:

BradG

Have got a mini lathe (super conquest) as well as the small wood lathe. Shed full - site manager would veto extension plans - she's a gardener!

Uh oh.....

Sounds like you're already equipped :wink: My anodising tank is 2.6 Litres, so consumes very little room. 5L sealed lid bucket holds the dye. that leaves you with just having to steal a saucepan to boil your parts to seal the anodic layer and you're good to go!

BradG

I've been doing some resurch on this, do you have any links to the method you prefer

On anodising? watch my video tutorials on my website :)
alchemistscorner

Great pen Brad - I like the method mite try it out - what speed did you run the chuck at ?

It was at 500 :) Nice work you're doing by the way. you're using Ferric by the looks of it for your etching?

JLL

I've been doing some resurch on this, do you have any links to the method you prefer

On anodising? watch my video tutorials on my website :)
alchemistscorner

It was at 500 :) Nice work you're doing by the way. you're using Ferric by the looks of it for your etching?

Great thanks brad - I use salt,copper sulfate and warm water for the etching .

BradG

I have some copper sulphute for creating patinas. Looks like a nice result regardless.

not that you would want to on the last etched pen you posted as the smut gives it a nice character, but if you ever want to clean up the blackening from the etch process give it a few mins in dilute Nitric acid. it will dissolve all of the impurities which creates the dark soot look, but leave the aluminium untouched.

Reactions: JLL

Joey-Nieves

Brad I watched the video, most informative one I've seen. I have 2 questions;

1. Although you use lead, In other videos people use aluminum as cathodes, is this a short term solution?
  2. You mentioned polishing the part on the lathe various times, you ran out of time and it wasn't very clear. how does one polish the part without removing the dye?
  3. The part preparation on the video starts with sop and water, but It actually started in your shop, Is it safe to say, you sanded to the highest grit available and used a metal polish?
Thank you
Joey

BradG

Hi Joey
[*]Although you use lead, In other videos people use aluminum as cathodes, is this a short term solution?
Aluminium is actually the industry standard and there's nothing wrong with using it at all. Lead on the other hand can also be used as it won't react with sulphuric acid, just the same as you would find in a car battery for instance. I just happen to have a large roll of lead laying around, and would rather use that than sacrifice a lump of aluminium I could machine elsewhere :wink: you will see no difference in your results by using either.

[*]You mentioned polishing the part on the lathe various times, you ran out of time and it wasn't very clear. how does one polish the part without removing the dye?

by mounting the pieces on a mandrel and using a soft lint free piece of cloth with some plastic polish sold in car stores. no abrasives whatsoever. you only do this once the piece has been sealed in boiling water for 20-25 minutes. then the dye is sealed in. It is natural for a little dye to be on your cloth after polishing, don't worry.

[*]The part preparation on the video starts with sop and water, but It actually started in your shop, Is it safe to say, you sanded to the highest grit available and used a metal polish?

I sand upto around 12,000 using clean micromesh. I never use polish, as it leaves a waxy film on the piece which will ruin your anodising. sometimes I only sand to 1,200 as I dont want a polished look.

Compare these two pens:
1_206009_132996573458684_117699231655085_204302_5071150_n.jpg

1_543070_281327181958955_117699231655085_627796_975633989_n.jpg

Both of these have been anodised and dyed and cleaned exactly the same way. the only difference is one was polished to a high shine by sanding upto 12,000 before anodising, and the matte one took a bath in caustic soda for a few minutes so that the aluminium was very matte in appearance before anodising (Caution: fumes are nasty, and it will dissolve threads!)

Last edited:

JLL

Hi Brad I tried out the slot cutter in the chuck milling process today and it worked a treat - thanks Jake

Last edited:
Top Bottom