Kitless Aluminum Click Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from bluwolf

bluwolf

I figured I'd give this another try. I made the pen in 3 pieces so I could make the nib and finial the way I wanted, then just adjust the length of the body.

I wanted to hide some of the click mechanism and add a clip. To get the click mechanism to fit under the finial and not make the pen too fat, I had to turn off what I call the button cup on the click mechanism that normally sits on top of the pen.

When it was almost done I still didn't have a clip that would fit because I wanted to hide the clip ring. The ring had to have a large enough I.D. to fit around the finial threads and a small enough O.D. to fit inside the pen diameter. Hmmm...

So I called Mike Redburn. Mike, I got a little problem.... No problem he says. He always says no problem but I think it's tougher than it looks. So he made me up a sterling silver clip to the ring specs I needed and I think it looks nice and contemporary to go with the pen. The sides of the clip have a rough texture and the top is polished

Mike

Attachments

• alktlsclk5.jpg
    alktlsclk5.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 907
  • alktlsclk3 (2).jpg
    alktlsclk3 (2).jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 825
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I have GOT to quit working on cars and, get caught up. :confused: First of all, I want a dozen of those clips. THAT, should get me started. Then, I need to get my lower barrels turned down that far. Then, I need......

OH, nice pen Mike!:biggrin:

bluwolf

Great looking pen Mike! Still can't wait to try my hand at one of them... Well done with the clip, matches the pen very well

Yeah, I like the clip with it a lot. I think I'm going to have to get him to make a few more.

I have GOT to quit working on cars and, get caught up. :confused: First of all, I want a dozen of those clips. THAT, should get me started. Then, I need to get my lower barrels turned down that far. Then, I need......

OH, nice pen Mike!:biggrin:

Yes Chuck, you do have to quit working on the cars. Been there, done that. I haven't seen a pen from you in awhile. Then again, I shouldn't talk...

Mike

bluwolf

Mike that is a wonderful pen. I really like the mod to the click mechanism. Really fabulous work.

Thanks, all I did was turn the wall off. I think the mechanisms are really nice . And if you're just tapping threads and sticking them on the top of the pen, they work terrific.

It's when you start trying to hide them in the pen, all of a sudden they seem bulky. I was happy enough with it that I'll try it again.

Mike

PenMan1

Nicely done, Mike! Very contemporary. I like the hidden joint at the click mechanism. Nice clean lines.

Last edited:

bluwolf

That looks great! You can't even see the joins!

What click mech is it? Seems quite compact?

I got it from Richard Greenwald. It's part # 10179

Push Button Mechanisms [10179] : Richard L. Greenwald, LLC, Pens, Pens Parts and Photographs

But I turned off the cup that surrounds the button because it's still a little too fat when you try to hide it inside a finial. Although you don't have to. I made another pen before this and just mounted the mechanism on top, the way I think it's supposed to be used.

Mike

bluwolf

I'm glad you guys like it. I thought it was a little boring. But I just told myself it looked clean:rolleyes: And now that I know Mike can do what he does with the clips, I'll have to come up with something trickier.

Mike

Top Bottom