Kitless # 2

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from joefyffe

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Except for a demonstrator, this is my first actual kitless. This is my own pour/cast of Aztec Gold/Antique Bronze Mica in Silmar 41. This one taught me some lessons, regarding sizing, with puting a #6 Bock on 12mm plastic. Tight, Tight, Tight! Unless I'm doing it wrong. ????? The section, Black Ebonite and the Bock Nib, feed, and feed holder were purchased from Indy Pen Dance. As always, comments and constructive evaluation WELCOME!!

Attachments

• _DSC7922 copy.jpg
    _DSC7922 copy.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 236
  • _DSC7923 copy.jpg
    _DSC7923 copy.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 207
  • _DSC7925 copy.jpg
    _DSC7925 copy.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 312
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mrs

I love the color of the blank dad - looks really nice!! Another thing to keep in mind and learn down the road - the step down from the pen to the section looks pretty large in the photo (may not be as much in person?) but for me personally that would be something I would want to overcome. Just a thought. I think you did a good job on this one!!! Of course you did pretty darn good on your demonstrator too :)

wizard

Very nice Joe !!! You did a great job on the casting and making the kitless pen. It looks good with the contrasting black ebonite section and gold hue of the Bock nib! Can't wait to see your next one. Doc:)
P.S. LOL...Don't forget to let your daughter know that the step down on the front end was most carefully planned as to leave the resin thick enough on the cap for the threads to not show through:wink:.

wiset1

Clean and to the point. Great job. Is it going to get a clip?

Clip? We don't need no stinkin clip!!! Give me a break, this is only number two!!:eek: I guess that's the next thing I have to learn, heh? On this one I only had about an eighth of an inch from drilling through the top.

Funny :biggrin:

Clips come after working out the details of a kitless. I would do the same thing.

IPD_Mrs

LOL. His daughter has finicky hands (ok so she is finicky) he knows that. For that matter I think most everyone else does to. :tongue::rolleyes::biggrin: But hey ... everyone has to be good at something right :confused:

Honestly though - I have very small hands .. Until getting older (hush now) and adding a few pounds I wore a size 4 wedding ring and couldn't buy a pinkie ring without getting one made for a baby just to give a bit of an idea .... Last time I went to look at rings my wedding ring size is now a 5 ... so not a lot of change :wink:.

I think it is a very good point about not showing the threads through the material though. That is something that has to be considered in design - as well as the polishing of the inside of the pen once you are done and if the pen is extremely thin then the question of how to polish out the tooling marks will become one of paramount importance. These are things that I know some of you have already mastered in the kitless world .. but they are certainly things that folks who are just starting out have to consider wouldn't you think?

wizard

LOL. His daughter has finicky hands (ok so she is finicky) he knows that. For that matter I think most everyone else does to. :tongue::rolleyes::biggrin: But hey ... everyone has to be good at something right :confused:

Honestly though - I have very small hands .. Until getting older (hush now) and adding a few pounds I wore a size 4 wedding ring and couldn't buy a pinkie ring without getting one made for a baby just to give a bit of an idea .... Last time I went to look at rings my wedding ring size is now a 5 ... so not a lot of change :wink:.

I think it is a very good point about not showing the threads through the material though. That is something that has to be considered in design - as well as the polishing of the inside of the pen once you are done and if the pen is extremely thin then the question of how to polish out the tooling marks will become one of paramount importance. These are things that I know some of you have already mastered in the kitless world .. but they are certainly things that folks who are just starting out have to consider wouldn't you think?
LOL...Linda....you are most definitely correct...and getting that step just right is something I'm still trying to master.....Regards, Doc:)

P.S.LOL.. I thought the threads not showing through at least sounded good as a save for your dad...Didn't work...Argh...gtg before my secretary sees that I'm AWOL on IAP.

Last edited:

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam

LOL...Linda....you are most definitely correct...and getting that step just right is something I'm still trying to master.....Regards, Doc:)

P.S.LOL.. I thought the threads not showing through at least sounded good as a save for your dad...Didn't work...Argh...gtg before my secretary sees that I'm AWOL on IAP.

Doc: I certainly appreciate your effort. Maybe if the "hes" stick together, we can some day figure out how to get around the "shes" when it comes time to go shopping. I do know that the SIL is hot for a metal lathe, so perhaps if we all stick together we can distract IPD_Mrs and he can sneak off and bring it home un-noticed. ?????????????????????????

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Joe, this pen looks really bad. Bring it with you tomorrow, that way I can take it home and inspect it for a while:biggrin:. It looks pretty darn good, especially for the first one ever.

Top Bottom