Is it a kitless?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from 18111

Hi all, it's been a while since last post. Here is what I made few days ago. The furniture is from Churchill kit. The barrel and cap are made of home cast Alumilite clear with blue dye, and black ebonite section with #6 JoWo steel nib. No clip and no brass tube are used. Is it a kitless? How do you describe it? Thanks for looking. C&C welcome. Yoshi

Attachments

• capped.jpg
    capped.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 271
  • uncapped.jpg
    uncapped.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 362
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BradG

Very nice pen :) Though I think you should be doing your own threading for it to be classed as kitless. Maybe modified kit pen?

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I would call it a modified kit as well as Brad. However, makes no difference to me. It's very well made and, it's a very attractive pen. That material is really nice in color and, finish. Nicely done.

Very nice pen :) Though I think you should be doing your own threading for it to be classed as kitless. Maybe modified kit pen?

Thanks Brad. Though I didn't do threading on metal furniture, I did ebonite section with threads to barrel and feed housing. Now, Is it kitless?:biggrin:

edstreet

Personally it seems to me that many get caught up in comparing kits to custom sets for some weird reason and phrases like 'kitless' seems to be slung often. 'Kitless' reflects there is some foundation base of using a kit when in fact there was no kit used. Reflection from where the skill advanced from seems to be one way that many denotes their advancement, i.e. I went from kit pens to non-kit pens.

This would be like saying yesterday I used my trainingwheelless bicycle. Or I drove my drivers-ed instructorless car.

When I look at this it seems that phrases like 'modified kit' or 'closed end kit' would best describe things. One other possible way to look at it would be to break this pen down into it's 7 basic sections. In this case 3/7 of those parts were fabricated.

BradG

Thanks Brad. Though I didn't do threading on metal furniture, I did ebonite section with threads to barrel and feed housing. Now, Is it kitless?:biggrin:

Nope. As if you were to remove the kit pieces the lid wouldn't stay on :tongue:

This is all politics anyway. Great looking pen regardless. Try not to get tied up in the categories, it'l tarnish the fun of it

johncrane

Outstanding pen! Modified/Custom doesn't matter, what matters is the design fit and finish and i think you nailed it, The chrome bands and the chrome thread stand out beautiful and really show of the blank,also the steel threads will outlast any Alumilite thread.i also agree with Brads last words.

Nope. As if you were to remove the kit pieces the lid wouldn't stay on :tongue:

This is all politics anyway. Great looking pen regardless. Try not to get tied up in the categories, it'l tarnish the fun of it

Yep. I Agree. Let's just have a fun!:)

Last edited:

Nice pen, I really like the blue. is it fairly translucent?

I would call it a modified kit as well as Brad.

I've never gotten into naming my pens, but to each his own. Weird that you would name it Brad though, since Brad just commented. :tongue:

Thanks Mike.
Yes it is fairly translucent. The hint of blue is noticeable only the part that see though the silver fitting. It is like seeing a blue ink bottle. It looks like a black but not quite a black but feels blue and it is blue...:confused:

Top Bottom