Kit-less, Slim, Ball point, Something

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from maxman400

maxman400

OK my first Kit-less weighed in at 130 grams, so Skiprat said I needed to work on making them lighter so here is my second Kit-less, Slim, Ball point, Something or another. I started with a 5/16" X 1 1/2" stainless bolt and turned and drilled it to make the nib. Then I used 1/2" aluminum bar stock, drilled it and tapped it to accept the 5/16" nib and a cross refill with a spring behind it like a roller ball. The Cap is 1/2" bar stock drilled and tapped, both the cap and body is tapered at 4 degrees. Total Weight 31.8 grams.
Thanks For Looking, Any comments welcome. :biggrin:

Attachments

• light weight 002.jpg
    light weight 002.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 225
  • light weight.jpg
    light weight.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 242
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxman400

Great looking pen. But I have a question. Do you have any idea of how much time you have in making the pen?
Tom
Over a two day period about 6 hours, a lot of that time was spent trying to make sure every thing is centered on the lathe. And since I had nothing to go on, it was designed as I went along.

Looks like you are on the right track Max! The threads (to me) are a little large and distract from the great finish and design of the pen, but overall nice job!

maxman400

Looks like you are on the right track Max! The threads (to me) are a little large and distract from the great finish and design of the pen, but overall nice job!
I live in a rural area and I am at the mercy of what Home Depot carries, I have a box of gears :confused: that came with the lathe so once I figure out how those work :eek: I will be able to make my own threads. :biggrin:

arw01

Looks great! How about some photos and story of the machinery and the process? I would assume you have a small metal lathe like a Tage or ?

Max, I am in the same boat. We don't have much around here either. I started with the 1"OD tap and die set from HF. They have it online and littlemachineshop.com has a nice die holder. Those change gears still have me confused:beat-up:.

It looks like you had much better luck turning stainless then I did. I ordered a 1.5 inch dia. stainless rod and it ate about 3 bits. Going from aluminum to stainless was a rude awakening for me:eek:!

fastgast

Max, Unreal, I live in Pahrump myself, Drive the 57x at the speedway. Love that pen, My wife and I started turning pens about 3 weeks ago and are having a ball, going broke but having fun. Maybe we can get together sometime as I obviously have a lot to learn. That pen and the rest you have in your album is amazing, Thanks, Rick

maxman400

Max, Unreal, I live in Pahrump myself, Drive the 57x at the speedway. Love that pen, My wife and I started turning pens about 3 weeks ago and are having a ball, going broke but having fun. Maybe we can get together sometime as I obviously have a lot to learn. That pen and the rest you have in your album is amazing, Thanks, Rick
Thanks Rick look forward to meeting you and welcome to the IAP.

Top Bottom