A Kit-less pen in Orange and brown

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from sanyalsoumitra

Completed a Kit-less pen in orange acrylic and brown ebonite. The cap is made with two pieces joined as I had run out of material, the thin line of dark colour glue continues to annoy me! Will the pen look better with a 5 mm brown centre band or ( as shown) with the barrel finial removed.What other modifications are needed? Thanks for viewing and as always,welcome your comments.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    26.8 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 98

magpens

That's very nice work !!!

I would leave the barrel finial on.

When you ask the question: "Will the pen look better with a 5 mm brown centre band.." it seems you might be thinking of cutting the cap at the join and inserting a 5 mm brown ring there. Or perhaps you are thinking of an actual centre band at the bottom of the cap.

Personally, I do not think such a centre bad will compensate for the join.

It seems you are stuck with the join, unless you cut the cap at the join and insert a brown ring (I would make it about 3 mm) as an accent feature. Possibly do the same at about the middle of the barrel. . Even two thin rings (separated by an orange ring of same thickness) on both cap and barrel ... would help you get over the spacing proprotions.

But don't remove the barrel finial ...

That's my opinion.

Last edited:
That's very nice work !!!

I would leave the barrel finial on.

When you ask the question: "Will the pen look better with a 5 mm brown centre band.." it seems you might be thinking of cutting the cap at the join and inserting a 5 mm brown ring there. Or perhaps you are thinking of an actual centre band at the bottom of the cap.

Personally, I do not think such a centre bad will compensate for the join.

It seems you are stuck with the join, unless you cut the cap at the join and insert a brown ring (I would make it about 3 mm) as an accent feature. Possibly do the same at about the middle of the barrel. . Even two thin rings (separated by an orange ring of same thickness) on both cap and barrel ... would help you get over the spacing proprotions.

But don't remove the barrel finial ...

That's my opinion.

Hi thanks for your advise. I would be placing the brown ring behind the barrel threads, so in the capped condition this ring will show between the cap and the barrel. Would extend the step behind barrel threads by 5/6 cm and slip fit an ebonite ring by heating with hot water. Well that is the plan so far.. tried to live with the looks of the pen, but no , it kind of looks dis-proportionate.

jalbert

Looks good! I agree that proportion wise, the absence of the barrel finial puts the barrel a little more in proportion with the cap. However, it would be a shame to lose the contrast you get from the brown finial. Is there any way you could cut the barrel down a little, then reattach the finial? If not, you could also add a wide band of brown ebonite to the base of the cap which would add some extra length to the cap, putting it more in proportion with the barrel. Just my two cents. Good job nonetheless!

Top Bottom