Kit-less pen made from Glass fibre rod.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from sanyalsoumitra

Nice machineable material- Myfirst pen with out a clip. Request your comments on how to make it better. Inches fine threads.

Attachments

• IMG_0016.jpg
    IMG_0016.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_0017.jpg
    IMG_0017.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_0018.jpg
    IMG_0018.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 357
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

You've done a fine job on that pen ! Do you know the name of the material ? Or is it just a generic fibreglass as far as you know ? I wonder if it would look even better if you could polish it and make it shine. You certainly have given it an attractive shape.

Last edited:
You've done a fine job on that pen ! Do you know the name of the material ? Or is it just a generic fibreglass as far as you know ? I wonder if it would look even better if you could polish it and make it shine. You certainly have given it an attractive shape.

I did not gloss it up with , say CA- just smoothened and a light wax polish. I would take your advise and try gloss finish.

Do not know the specific material name- sold to me as a generic Glass fibre rod. The material rings like bone-china! Excellent machinability.

OZturner

A Most Attractive Pen, Sanyal.
You never cease to amaze me, with what you can produce, within the limited resources, you have at sea. And you always bring something Special to Post.
I like the Lines, Proportions, and Profile you have produced.
Excellent Machining, Fit, and considering the material, you have acheived an acceptable Finish.
But as others have suggested, perhaps CA might be the way to go.
Great Work,
Brian.

Thank you all for the encouragement. Some updates here on the finished pen.

I had asked for advise from various forums and based on those , I completed the pen today.The
treacherous material took its toll on me today- I could make 5 / 6 ebonite pens in that time!
Changes made : a) CA coat
cool.png
Larger nib c) fitting an extra 14 mm tenon on the cap and fitting a
clip.
The glass mateial becomes quite weak at thinner sections as the binder glue quality is not very
solid- the threads are first to get wiped off. barrel lower end threaded area gave away, so I had to
add a 14 mm tenon on top and please note that this time I did not taper the lower end of the
barrel so much!
For the section threads, I added an ebonite ring, to function as a travel stopper rather than a
decoration, this kept the section threads safe no matter how hard one would tighten them.
The barrel threads have been reduced to 2.5 turns, cut away area started to chip off, so let it be.
Guess removing the extra 3 or so thread gives a practical look.
For CA coating, the absorption at various areas of the surface were different as one can see in the
photos. The binder glue is not uniform and there are air pockets. I would vacuum stabilize the next
blank before working!
Clip - make it look incomplete to me with out a clip- so fitted one from an old broken local pen.
The cap finial is just a button shape glued on top-did not take chance to make any more smaller
thread on this unstable material.
Purposely refrained from adding ebonite rings between the cap finial and upper tenon -idea being
to maintain a plain and simple theme- however the minor misalignments could have been
covered.
Ink tested- writes satisfactory but can see a faint glow of ink seeped inside the section- same
posrosity issue!

Kindly tell us- how does this pen look to you now?

Attachments

• IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0005.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 149

magpens

With the clip and polish it does look better, IMO. It's a pity that the porosity and non-uniformity of the material is a problem. You have certainly worked long and hard on this one ! Thanks for showing.

Last edited:

OZturner

Congratulations Sanyal, On overcomeing the difficulties you encountered with the quality of the Fibre Glass Material.
Obviously the introduction of the Ebonite Ring, has given you the required stability and strength.
The Clip is a good addition.
It is a shame you had the slight bleeding of the Ink.
But all in all a Good Functional Pen.
Brian.

Top Bottom