Kingwood Kitless

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jjartwood

Jjartwood

Started playing around with the threading wood thing and ended up with a pen.
I was going to add a clip,but the pen turned out to be rather long and well.....
I didn't see where it would go anywhere but on a desk.
Desk pen it is!
The parts came from an El Grande' that was a failed pen.
So basically this is a junkyard pen,but it was fun just playing around and using what parts I could scrounge up in the Nat'l Hqtrs.( my garage ) Good thing I decided to skip the clip, or I would of had to sweep under the benches to find one!

C&C welcome:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Attachments

• IMG_0659.jpg
    IMG_0659.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_0662.jpg
    IMG_0662.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_0661.jpg
    IMG_0661.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 179
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Simplex

Nice! How durable are the threads? I don't think there are too many woods out there that would be able to take a thread easily.

Jjartwood

The wood seems to be durable enough if properly prepared, I am getting better results with a little more course thread 1/2 x 20.
The biggest issue that I'm working out is the "tap wander" the wood is so soft that
the tap wanders very easily even after starting "true" it can wander 1/2 way through
the threading. The first picture shows an end result (the cap pitches to the right)
The 2d issue that I'm trying to get a handle on is the dowel size, a little too big and
I'm shaving the dowel flat,a little small and the thread has a flat top and will easily
strip when tightened but when their right the thread works fine,I've even gotten pine
to work well,so at this point it is a game of practice,practice,practice

Jjartwood said:
The wood seems to be durable enough if properly prepared, I am getting better results with a little more course thread 1/2 x 20.
The biggest issue that I'm working out is the "tap wander" the wood is so soft that
the tap wanders very easily even after starting "true" it can wander 1/2 way through
the threading. The first picture shows an end result (the cap pitches to the right)
The 2d issue that I'm trying to get a handle on is the dowel size, a little too big and
I'm shaving the dowel flat,a little small and the thread has a flat top and will easily
strip when tightened but when their right the thread works fine,I've even gotten pine
to work well,so at this point it is a game of practice,practice,practice

The misalignment of the cap is simply a design feature to keep the pen from rolling off ones desk, no? :D

Top Bottom