Be kind to this ultra beginner - need critique

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from cestmoi

cestmoi

I feel a bit like Daniel entering the lions' den, but I'm asking for your critique on this slimline pen that I just turned. Please be kind--this is only the third pen that I've ever turned. I realize, however, that in order to improve, we need to understand our mistakes. So, have at it. What can I do better next time? I can see that the piece with cap and clip could be turned down just a bit more. What else?

Maple Slimline Feb 2014.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mike Powell

Good start Bud.. Looks better then my 3rd one. It looks a little fat to me at the nib and at the center ring. Other than that I see nothing wrong with it. Good job.

walshjp17

Leslie,

For only your third pen, that is very nice. I like the straight lines of the blank.

It may be the photo, but it appears that the bottoms of both blanks are a bit over-sized. If that is the case, when you get down to the bushings, double check the diameters with calipers to make sure the ends fit with the hardware unless you are going to use a finish that adds girth such as multiple coats of CA. In that case, try to stay under by about .005" so the dried CA can match the hardware dimensions.

Ed McDonnell

For a third pen I think you are doing fine. You already know about the fit where the blank meets the components. That's something that you will get better at with more practice.

The other thing I would suggest is, as your confidence and budget allows, trying blanks with some more excitement to them. Highly figured tropical woods, or some of the colorful resin blanks.

The other thing I would suggest is that you consider upgrading the refills in your pens. The stock refills are adequate in most cases, but swapping the stock refill in a slimline kit with a Monteverde refill can turn an ordinary writing experience into a beautiful experience. It doesn't cost a lot, but whoever uses your pen will really notice the difference (and think much more highly of you as a pen maker).

Thanks for being brave enough to post your pen and ask for comments.

Ed

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
For your third pen it looks nice. You can always sand a bit more to bring your blank closer to the size of your bushings. What kind of finish did you use?

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Great beginnings. What we cant see that you need to look for is OOR (out of round) look at the ends and see if more wood sticks out on one side than the other. You will want to try different finishes to find the ones that suit you. Wax finishes generally dont hold up very long to prolonged handling. If your blanks are a little larger than the hardware, which is better than undersized, round the ends gently so your finger doesnt catch on them when you rub it across where they meet.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Good job for a third pen!!

The slimline is not simple and you have chosen one of the most difficult. There are several centerband designs for this family of pens. IF you choose one that is a little more "ornamental" (has a bead on top and bottom), the size of your wood is more flexible. With the straight centerband you selected, there is no "slop".

Great job, enjoy what you are doing---and WELCOME to IAP!!

OKLAHOMAN

As has been said the Slimline is not the easiest of pens to make, but I understand that to the beginner the price is low enough that you feel comfortable in making it as opposed to a higher end kit. Step up to something like a Cigar kit, it has much more meat and gives you IMO an easier pen to make and a good learning curve. You already know to turn it closer to the components, look into finishing with a finish you like and feel comfortable with. Great pen for it being just your 3rd.

jroach21

Looks great! I like to sand mine Abranet, then micromesh. After that I use the 3 step process from Mylands. I get mine from Woodturningz.com. That would definetly make your pens shine a little more.

LeeR

Good start! And I'd echo the comments about slimlines not being the easiest to turn. Not much meat on the bone when you are done.

A number of my early pens have found homes around the house. And I am constantly throwing away some cheap pen we ahve acquired from who knows where, and substituting one of mine. A great way to use up practice pens. And do not overlook giving pens away to family and friends. They likely will not scrutinize the fit like you do, and will appreciate getting something you made.

Life is to short to write with a "junk, office supply store, unknown brand" pen! Throw them out and substitute your own. :)

plano_harry

I think everyone has already covered the recommendations well. Find you a good permanent finish that you like. A good place to start is the Finishing section of the Library. You can practice a new finish on any cheap wood. Looks like your turning technique is pretty good - nice level turn which is hard for a beginner to master, most have some curve to them.

The two main areas most of us notice from a technique standpoint are fit next to the hardware and the finish. To move up, be ruthless on matching the diameter of your hardware and calipers are a must for the best work. They don't have to be expensive, but skip the plastic ones. Harbor Freight has a very nice one, almost always on sale for about $10. Measure the diameter of the tip, lock the caliper at that diameter and then use it as your test for when you have turned to the correct mating diameter for that end of the tube. Depending on the thickness of your finish, the caliper should slide easily onto the wood when you are "there". Obviously if you are doing plastic, you might want a closer fit because you don't have a finish to build up.

When learning, buy extra tubes. You don't have to assemble every attempt if you don't like the way it turned out - although it doesn't look like you will have many to throw away. Nice start!

Harry

Lenny

First of all, that's as good as any of my first attempts.

I agree with Mike, you could be experiencing some "out of round" issues ...
Some common reasons are, bad bushings, bent mandrel, too much pressure on the end of the mandrel, using an improper center in the tail stock (common cup center) instead of a 60 degree live center. There is an article in the library on dealing with OOR issues.
I would urge you to save this pen. In three months compare it with what you are making then. =o)

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Not bad at all for a #3 pen. It looks almost exactly like my first few pens - be sure to keep those first few for future reference, you'll be glad you did. Better fit between blank & hardware will come quickly. It's largely a matter of gaining confidence in your turning.

If you are using a standard pen mandrel & live center, I would highly recommend getting a mandrel saver to use in place of the live center. It will save you a lot of OOR headaches.

Ed

edicehouse

I am willing to be most here started with that kit and wood blank for the first 10 or so. Looks good. By the centerband is there a little metal color from the bushings? I have done some where when sanding the blank, some of the metal color from the bushings gets on the wood. You can see it more in light color blanks. My solution to that is delrin bushings. Woodcraft has started carrying them, several venders here also.

But the bottom line is great start (better than my first dozen), keep it up.

cestmoi

Thanks you all for your comments and suggestions. I can see that I have a lot to learn. It looks like I'm going to have to get some calipers and learn to use them. I believe some of the color from the bushings came off onto the pen, as was pointed out. I will either have to clean the bushings or get the type suggested. Slimlines are not my favorite style of pen. I'm just practicing with the kits that came with my PSI starter kit. The second pen I turned was actually a Sierra and I really like the look of that style of pen. I found it to be easier to turn than the slimline simply because there is more wood left on the barrel.

Jim Burr

Banned
Not to bad!!! You used a mandrel with to much pressure on the wheel, so your fit is a bit off. The nib end has a little lip on it. At this stage...I'd work on you CA finish, if that's what you choose to use and/or a poly of some sort. Friction polish just wont hold up under any use at all, never has and never will...it's not manufactured for that purpose. I suggest working on that now so that as your turning skills improve, so do your finish skills...they, IMHO, go hand in hand! I'm also very happy to see you kept a Slimline slim. Over all...very good work!! Congratz!

monark88

Much better than my first pens. Mandrel might have been too tight.

Maybe sand off a bit more at the ends and center so as to bevel down to the bushings.

Good to see that you did not undercut the blanks diameter. A problem with some new turners, me included.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
I asked about the finish because the pen's finish seams a bit flat and I'm not sure if that's what you wanted or not. If not you have to remember that Crystal Coat you need to build up heat to get the nice shine, it need to get to the point were it feels like it's burning your fingers. And you need to build up a few coats. I changed from Huts to Wood Turners Finish I like it a lot Your well on your way to being a very good pen maker just give it some time. Save those first few pen and look back on them it a few month you see how far you'll have come.

Top Bottom