Karanda FP

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KDM

KDM

Love this kit. Really nice piece of wood, too.

Finished this up with CA about 3 times and sanded it back down because I wasn't happy with it. Changed my CA recently and it seems to stuck better to the bushings than the previous stuff. Consequently, the CA breaks off and leaves a raggy edge around the end of the turned tube. Happy with it this time.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

76winger

Love this kit. Really nice piece of wood, too.

Finished this up with CA about 3 times and sanded it back down because I wasn't happy with it. Changed my CA recently and it seems to stuck better to the bushings than the previous stuff. Consequently, the CA breaks off and leaves a raggy edge around the end of the turned tube. Happy with it this time.

Cut the circumference with an xActo knife before you try to break the bushings away. Keep it straight though!

1080Wayne

As Dave says , use an Exacto or equivalent . Personally , I would cut a bit outboard of the tube end , pull the blank off , then carefully trim . The CA is still soft enough right after application to trim easily .

Rather than Karanda , did you mean caragana ?

KDM

Cut the circumference with an xActo knife before you try to break the bushings away. Keep it straight though!

Yeah, I've done over 100 CA finished pens and never seen this effect before, so I blamed my new CA.

The CA is still soft enough right after application to trim easily.

You may have a point there. This was on the mandrel for several days while finishing it. I expect it went quite brittle in that time.

KDM

Rather than Karanda , did you mean caragana ?
I'm happy enough to admit that I haven't a clue! It was at the back of my cupboard and labelled in pencil by whomever I obtained it from!!

Is this what caragana looks like after it's been CA'd? I bow to your superior knowledge!!

KDM

Another option is to get a set of these: MAGIC FOR FINISHING : Penturners Products!

Actually just dismounted it and employed conical bushings. It's a process I used to use when I was starting out, but I stopped doing it because I found that I inadvertently polished the ends more than the middle of the barrells and ended up with bare wood at the joins. I was very aware of this when I finished this pen and, as such, the ends aren't quite as glossy as I'd like!!

1080Wayne

Don`t know Ken . I turn a lot of caragana . The colour and grain of your pen is bang on for one of the many ways caragana presents itself . I have never heard of the other plant , so have no idea as to what it would look like . The names are similar enough that they could easily be confused .

Caragana frequently has a bit of an odour when turned .

PM me your address and I will send you some caragana .

KDM

It smelled a bit like earwax. I know that's gross, but there you are. It was difficult to describe. I felt it more in my throat, or really far back in my nose. A bit sweet. not terribly strong, but it did linger.

Nice Pen. I made my own finishing bushings from wood. I just glued up a 7mm blank and put it on the lathe and made 3 egg shaped forms and used a small saw and scored the tube and broke them apart. Now I have 3 bushings. I have to clean the extra CA off after a few barrels but it is easy.

Top Bottom