Kallanshaan Woodturner blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from gwilki

gwilki

Between Ken's blank and JohnnyCNC's bushings, I don't think I did much, but I like the outcome. The design goes around the blank, so one pic doesn't show it all. So, I've posted three pics. I'm posting Ken's Woodworker blank in a second thread.

Attachments

• turner 1.jpg
    turner 1.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 134
  • turner 2.jpg
    turner 2.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 146
  • turner 3.jpg
    turner 3.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 159
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Fitters are us!

Between Ken's blank and JohnnyCNC's bushings, I don't think I did much, but I like the outcome. The design goes around the blank, so one pic doesn't show it all. So, I've posted three pics. I'm posting Ken's Woodworker blank in a second thread.

The pens look good Grant and I know what you mean about not doing much.

The trend seems to be towards either these lazer cut kits of someone else's art or the combination of various materials in a plastic matrix, also someone else's art.

If your focus is towards making some cash by selling pens to others then this is probably good. If you into casting or digital reproduction it definitely is good. If your a hobbiest who enjoys creating something with your own hand, that says something about yourself, not so good, especially if it's wood that draws you to penmaking.

After 30 years of handling industrial chemicals (mostly hazardous) I have no interest in getting into playing with plastic casting. I find myself losing interest in pens and drifting towards other wood related pastimes. I still will have to satisfy some fans with a few custom pens. Might try other turning projects or go back to carving or even flat work or some combination of all the above.

Maybe there should be another forum here for wood only stuff, pens and other turned projects. That might keep us wood butchers interested and give a reason to post stuff. Just my thoughts; carry on.

Last edited:

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hey Larry; There is another forum here called "Other Things We Make". That would cover off all things not pens!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
As a "mostly-plastic guy" I can assure you wood is not dead. Even when my booth showed NO wood, there were folks who knew I made them and asked for wood.

NOW, I really ENJOY making wood pens, cause I can use only the nicest burls and charge a premium---NATURE will ALWAYS create greater beauty than man!!

FWIW!
"Don't give up pens, just find nicer wood"

gwilki

I know what you mean, Larry. I don't do many pens any more. It's mostly bowls and hollow forms now. It's good that I'm not in it for the money. :) The pens that I do now tend to be my own castings or designs. These, I did for two friends of mine, brothers. One is a custom cabinet maker and the other a wood turner. I've done several for them, but I thought that these just fit somehow.

jttheclockman

The pens look good Grant and I know what you mean about not doing much.

The trend seems to be towards either these lazer cut kits of someone else's art or the combination of various materials in a plastic matrix, also someone else's art.

If your focus is towards making some cash by selling pens to others then this is probably good. If you into casting or digital reproduction it definitely is good. If your a hobbiest who enjoys creating something with your own hand, that says something about yourself, not so good, especially if it's wood that draws you to penmaking.

After 30 years of handling industrial chemicals (mostly hazardous) I have no interest in getting into playing with plastic casting. I find myself losing interest in pens and drifting towards other wood related pastimes. I still will have to satisfy some fans with a few custom pens. Might try other turning projects or go back to carving or even flat work or some combination of all the above.

Maybe there should be another forum here for wood only stuff, pens and other turned projects. That might keep us wood butchers interested and give a reason to post stuff. Just my thoughts; carry on.

Hi Larry

I respect your view on lost interest but the thing you need to remember this is a pen turning forum. As mentioned there is a forum on other things made but may I suggest to get the accoldaes and pats on the back you might be better to join other forums that cater to the things you are interested. There are many turning forums that deal with the various types and styles of bowl turning as well as segmented turning. I know I am going to be getting more involved with segmenting and the nuances of that type of turning.

To address you first thoughts, can you tell us when pen turning was any different than it is today and what made it so.?? I think you see more made blanks and bought blanks is because there are so many more artists doing them and selling them. Along with the big suppliers. Pen turning is done for one reason and that is to make money. Some may hide behind the so called hobby thing but are greatful when someone offers them cash for their creation. Not sure what else you want to get out of pen turning than pen turning. Maybe you can explain some. Thanks.

PS: This maybe a great topic for another thread. I think I will start it. Thanks

Last edited:

woodgraver

Great job on the pen!

I find myself getting hooked on everything out there and for some reason feel the need to be able to make my own items, so I've purchased a laser engraver to make my own inlay pen kits, bought a HF ultrasonic sink and paint pot so I can make my own PR blanks...and recently I've been thinking about getting a metal lathe so I can make custom parts to help in the other areas...where will it end? Who knows, but I'm greatful for those that have inspired me with all the different mediums. I still turn plenty of things from wood though, and should post more of them in the "other things" forum, but honestly it is pen turning that I enjoy most...for now.

Top Bottom