Just wanted to say hello

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mb757

Status
Not open for further replies.

mb757

tn_Picture%20177_edited.jpg

I have not turned a pen in about 6 years. I just started to turn again after I found this site. I saw a while ago that some one was wondering if you could turn cork to make a pen. this is a Copano Burl Cork trimmed with Aluminum, cedar and maple checkers. Please let me know what you think. Thanks Mark.

I just added a couple of others that I finally got loaded. Red cigar is bloodwood with maple and cedar checkers. The darker pen is walnut and the top is segmented with maple veneer. The top looks like it's octagonal but it's round.

tn_Picture%20180_edited.jpg
tn_Picture%20178_edited.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alphageek

Former Moderator
Wow! Nice materials and great execution.

I would love to see a how to on the checkers - they look 'radial' in that they are the same size all the way around. I can guess how thats done, but am sure there is more efficient ways to make it that I wouldn't know about.

mb757

Thanks for the input. John, I do have a tutorial on how to make the checkers with a power mitre saw. If interested I can e/mail it to you. Thanks Mark.

gerryr

So, you buy composite cork from Andy Dear? And from the look of things, you are obviously a rodbuilder.

All three look nice but the bloodwood cigar is really well done. Excellent work.

alphageek

Former Moderator
Wow... I would LOVE a copy of that tutorial... Please email or PM me...

And on the add, I can't believe that one is round... what an illusion!

Dean

mb757

I just finished updating the tutorial. If you are interested in a copy please send your e/mail address to me at Mark@Hallada.Com and I will send a copy to you. Gerry I took up rodbuilding about a year and a half ago. Both past times are a lot of fun and I have found I can turn a pen while I'm waiting on the adheasives to cure on the rods. I have been cleaning up some of my old checkers built for rod handles and using them in the pens. I have a couple of other spare parts that should make for interesting pens. Mark

Hosspen

Very nice fine work. I really dig the look of the cork. You really have some skills. The combinations you used are really great. Keep up the fine craftsmanship!
Hoss

mb757

I just posted a couple of pens made with the same principle as the checkers. The cog is done a little differently but uses the same jig. I like the cog but they take a lot more time to make.

tn_Picture%20207_edited.jpg

tn_Picture%20206_edited.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom