Just starting out.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from george mavridis

Have been turning for a few years now but only recently ventured into the penmaking side. I've had a few disasters and a few oops and some that look passable. This is one I did a few weeks ago and was the first time using an acrylic blank. C & C welcomed

Attachments

• 20170408_125449.jpg
    20170408_125449.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 245
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lhowell

Great fit and I like the color combo. The only critique I would provide is you can see the brass tube through the white/clear portion of the blank. Next time try painting the hole you drilled in the blank and/or painting the tube to hide the brass. A lot of people use black but in this case white or a lighter color would work too.

That has a great fit and finish, as much I love working with wood, I do really like working with the man made materials. And as others have said already, and small constructive criticism would be to paint the tubes before gluing the blank. Even if I think the blank I opaque enough, I still back paint just to be in the safe side.

magpens

Nice work for your first acrylic. . Ditto to the comments on reverse painting the blank hole.

Welcome to IAP, George !!!! . If you write a very short blurb about yourself in the Introductions Forum you could win a newcomer's prize .

Fit & finish are great, as is the profile of the blank. Nice job for your first acrylic, they can be tricky sometimes. Backpainting would have helped, but overall you did a fine job.

Thanks for all the comments and advice, it's appreciated. A question on painting the blank. I can see how you'd paint the tube but what's the best way to paint the inside of the blank after the hole is drilled? I've heard some use q-tips, others use a little brush. It would depend on the size of the hole I would assume as painting a 7mm hole for a slimline would be harder than that for a sierra or a Jr set.

George, there are many threads addressing the ways to color in the holes. Me, I just give a good shot of spray paint through the holes from each end. I have had decent results with this with the exception of one blank.

Top Bottom