Just some Black Ebonite..

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wizard

wizard

Made it over the period of last two A.M.s. Its black ebonite with a #6 Bock nib. All I can say about it is that it was fun to make and very black. ...oh and it did stink! :rolleyes: Hope you like it. Doc:)

P.S. Hey Sensei..check this out:)

Attachments

• Black Ebonite Kitless_2.jpg
    Black Ebonite Kitless_2.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 225
  • Black Ebonite Kitless.jpg
    Black Ebonite Kitless.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 292
  • Black Ebonite Kitless_1.jpg
    Black Ebonite Kitless_1.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 189
  • Black Ebonite Kitless_3.jpg
    Black Ebonite Kitless_3.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 164
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

I love the material and the finish! I'm just not a fan of the chopped ends, the low hanging clip , overlapped center joinery and the short section.

I DO love the execution, the design just does nothing for me. This reminds me of any FP that I can buy in in color in any stationary store.

I AM A HUGE FAN of your work, and I would be proud to own most of the things you have posted. I'm not trying to be hurtful, but instead helpful. I much prefer your earlier works.

Respectfully submitted.

feeneypens

Wow Doc! You really inspire! I look forward to having a shop where I can make pens like THAT!
:)
Do you have a metal lathe?

wizard

I love the material and the finish! I'm just not a fan of the chopped ends, the low hanging clip , overlapped center joinery and the short section.

I DO love the execution, the design just does nothing for me. This reminds me of any FP that I can buy in in color in any stationary store.

I AM A HUGE FAN of your work, and I would be proud to own most of the things you have posted. I'm not trying to be hurtful, but instead helpful. I much prefer your earlier works.

Respectfully submitted.
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Andy,
LOL…Thank you for your candid feedback. I appreciate it. I understand a lot of this is personal preference. However, your comments are definitely resonant with my desire to further develop my skills. I am relatively new to kitless pen making. I am slowly trying to push past several areas that I am sort of stuck on with regard to contour, smaller finial, less overlap etc. This is a starting point for a pen from solid black ebonite that I have in mind. What I am ultimately aiming for is inspired by an instrument called Ebonite King of Pen by Sailor. LOL..I realize I have a long ways to go before I get there. Thanks for challenging me!
Regards,
Doc:)

Attachments

• Ebonite King of Pen.jpg
    Ebonite King of Pen.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 101

PenMan1

Doc:
Thank you for understanding my comments the way they were intended!

IMHO, your work has always been on the cutting edge and WAY OUTSIDE THE BOX. In fact, your works has been so unique and stands so far above so much posted here that I could recognize your art even if you didn't sign it.

In the lastest attemp, I see you sneaking back toward the big black box of "sameness", where everthing looks the same. WE ALL DO IT. WHEN WE GET OUTSIDE OUR COMFORT ZONES, we sneak back into the "pack" mentality. YOU ARE WAY TOO TALENTED TO BE PIGION HOLED into a "style". I'm just trying to head that off:)

Now, go back and make me another of those spectacular EARLY MORNING DOC PENS!

PenMan1

Lol! The "King Fish" as I call it shouldn't be difficult at all to make the body. It is almost the same as a MB 149, except with a longer section.

HOWEVER! You may have to go to Tokyo to learn how to make a feed and stack three nibs on top of each other. Lol!

I have written with a "King Fish". I wasn't crazy about the balance, but the ink flow and performance was in a class by itself.

Timebandit

Great job on the pen doc!! Everything looks just right on this one......i might just have to start taking lessons from you before to long :) I like the long finial and the flat tops, looks old school, clip is in a great location, and the section is the perfect length, any longer and they start to look out of proportion. Dont think i could find a pen like this in a stationary store anywhere i live :) Keep it up my friend!!!

Last edited:

wizard

Lol! The "King Fish" as I call it shouldn't be difficult at all to make the body. It is almost the same as a MB 149, except with a longer section.

HOWEVER! You may have to go to Tokyo to learn how to make a feed and stack three nibs on top of each other. Lol!

I have written with a "King Fish". I wasn't crazy about the balance, but the ink flow and performance was in a class by itself.

Andy,
Just an FYI....The King of Pens Ebonite Nagahara is actually approximately 250% larger than the Mont Blanc 149 and larger than any of the Meisterstuck LeGrand Series. It is bigger than than even the Large 1911 Sailor and has a shorter section. Moreover, If it were not so difficult to make..LOL..they probably wouldn't put a $1700 price tag on it.
Doc

Attachments

• Comparison.jpg
    Comparison.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 102

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
I'm with everybody else Doc. Very nice nice pen. The stuff does have a unique odor, but doesn't it polish up real nicely?:biggrin:

wizard

I love Ebonite and kitless pens. How about letting us in on the thread sizes. Also where's the clip from and how is it fastened?

Robert, Certainly! The threads for the cap to body are using 14 X 0.8 triple start tap and die. The threads for the section to body are using 10 X 1 tap and die. Regarding the clip, the finial is one that screws on to the cap with threads at 8 x 0.75 and makes the clip replaceable. The feed and housing holding the Bock nib screws into the section with threads at 7.9 X 0.6. The nibs and tap is available from Roy at Classic Nib. I'm still a newbie at kitless work. Pretty much everything I've learned is from Justin (Timebandit) and on IAP. Regards, Doc:)

wizard

Wow Doc! You really inspire! I look forward to having a shop where I can make pens like THAT!
:)
Do you have a metal lathe?

Mike, Thanks! Yes, I have a metal lathe..a Micromark 7 X 14. Actually have had it for 2 years. I've never really used other than just once or twice to make a mandrel or two. My wife mentions my lack of use of that piece of equipment on a fairly regular basis. :rolleyes:. Mike, I use a Jet wood lathe for my kitless work and it seems to do the job. Regards, Doc:)

that is a great looking pen, what is ebonite like to work with? i have never used it.

Martyn, I find ebonite fairly easy to work with. It threads well and turns really nicely with nice ribbons coming off. The main problem with Ebonite is that it really stinks while cutting, drilling and turning.
Regards, Doc:)

Robert111

I love Ebonite and kitless pens. How about letting us in on the thread sizes. Also where's the clip from and how is it fastened?

Robert, Certainly! The threads for the cap to body are using 14 X 0.8 triple start tap and die. The threads for the section to body are using 10 X 1 tap and die. Regarding the clip, the finial is one that screws on to the cap with threads at 8 x 0.75 and makes the clip replaceable. The feed and housing holding the Bock nib screws into the section with threads at 7.9 X 0.6. The nibs and tap is available from Roy at Classic Nib. I'm still a newbie at kitless work. Pretty much everything I've learned is from Justin (Timebandit) and on IAP. Regards, Doc:)

Thanks, Doc! This is a great community!

Top Bottom