Just playing around with segments

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Texatdurango

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texatdurango

I've got pieces of amboyna burl all over the shop so instead of cleaning up, I decided to make another segment pen using the red and gold amboyna with black accents.

The pen is a Black Titanium CSUSA Jr Gent finished with CA.

As usual, constructive comments, either pro or con, are welcome.

George

2007817165432_segment-gent-jr.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

Originally posted by ahoiberg
<br />nice job george. i think it's very nice looking. bandsawn in?
Nope, Scroll saw!

I bought a scroll saw a few months back with the intention of making some "swirl" patterns, just never got around to it... until now. So now I get to learn how to use a scroll saw!

I thought retirement was supposed to be fun and relaxing... all I'm doing is learning stuff and working my butt off in the shop everyday![:D]

Texatdurango

Originally posted by Randy_
<br />I like the way the segments mimic the curve if the clip!!
That was coincidence but I did lay out the design so the clip would hit on the lower portion of the ring.

I layed out the designs so they would be equal distances above and below the centerband. In hindsight though, I think the lower barrel would have looked better if the ovals were centered on the lower barrel between metal mating parts instead.

George

Texatdurango

Originally posted by Rmartin
<br />Very nice!

What is the black material?
Was there a lot of sanding involved?
Do you sell your pens with the pouch pictured?

1. The black material is from a bag of mixed color wood veneers purchased at the local Woodcraft.

2. Not a lot of sanding because on these segments I use a skew with a pretty light touch so as not to catch an edge. The result is little sanding because of the smooth finish the skew leaves.

3. I don't sell these (yet [:)]). This is the only leather pouch I have and it came with my pen from CaptG during the recent pen swap. I have no idea who carries them.

George

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I like it too, George. Looks great. But what really impressed me was that you managed to keep the ovals the same size. (Or depth into the blank if you prefer) I reckon if the hole for the tube was off just a fraction, it would have ruined the effect. 10/10[:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom