Just plain creepy! A new pen.....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from johnspensandmore

We have quite a problem with scorpions around here, and I have been threatening toss one of the nasty critters in some PR and turn his butt into pen! Well (after numerous failed attempts) I managed to produce a finished pen.

I used a Majestic Squire because it has the most "meat" on the tube and because I really like the kit. The background is dissolved rubber on a white base to give it a sort of "industrial" look.

What do y'all think?

Attachments

• stung4444.jpg
    stung4444.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 776
  • stung1111.jpg
    stung1111.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 764
  • stung2222.jpg
    stung2222.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 548
  • stung3333.jpg
    stung3333.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 391
That is one awesome pen ...considering selling blanks?

I hadn't really thought about it, but I suppose I could. They would be pricey as there is a lot of work that goes into each one. Heck, just hunting/catching them is a challenge, not to mention the drying and prep work.

Send me an email and we'll talk. Thanks for the kind words!

How did you go about drying him? Great looking pen, I don't have scorpions where I'm at butb a friend of mine does. Good job.

I soaked him in denatured alcohol for a few days, removed his insides (guts), "shaped" him on a form and dried him for an hour in the oven (Momma wasn't too thrilled by this!). I'm still working on ways to do this because I had several "silver" on me.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Looks great, John. I did one a year ago and mine did not turn out nearly as well as yours. I gave up for the time being but have been collecting scorps for a while, intending to try it again sometime.

PaulDoug

great job! that is most cool. Do you have the black scorpions there? We use to have a lot of them around here when I was a kid, but you rarely find them anymore. My brother got stung by one once. It was about like a bee sting to him.

Mark

That is a very cool looking pen. Excellent work on the scorpion placement and finish looks good too. Nicely Done...

bgibb42

Personally, I won't be standing in line for any blanks like this, but I really admire your creativity and craftsmanship. Nice pen!

fyrcaptn

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade
When life gives you scorpions, make pens......
Kinda got a ring to it or is that a busy signal?
Interesting indeed. That is pretty slick.

wizard

Beautiful, original pen! Great preservation and placement of the scorpion on the pen. An entomological treat!!
Doc

Craftdiggity

That's pretty intense. I can believe you had enough room to turn it all the way down without tearing the little fella apart.

That is very well done. If you are making more of those blanks, let me know. I'd definitely buy a couple off you.

phillywood

John, I told Curtis i haven't seen those around San Antonio, but I tell you what I have a very nuisance Possum in my back yard that drives me and the dogs crazy late at night, if you can figure out way to cast this guy let me know. I have to do something about him. it gets my dogs going barking at him late at night every night. Or, I may have to cast his teeth.

You did a great job on that pen, you may be able to send a picture to those film makers and gt into bus. of making them a special order. somehow when I saw that pen it reminded me of movies. You never know.

bruce119

I have to say something that looks great. It's amazing what we can do with resin. And those who admire and don't play with resin just can't comprehend the work that goes into something like this.

I CAN WELL DONE !!!!!!!

splinter99

Execelent pen..It gave me a chill down my spine just looking at it. Im sure glad we don't have them in PA, Although two people that I know have been hospitalized in the last week for spider bites (Brown Recluse)

whats a possum?
catfound001.jpg

Top Bottom