Just one more, I promise!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Firefyter-emt

Firefyter-emt

This pen is off for a trip on Monday. It may just pop up somewhere you have been before, but I am not telling quite yet. [}:)]

Black PR section, soda can and snakewood with a CA finish.

dippen-2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jhs494

Nice work Lee! The soda can accent made a huge difference. I really like the look of the snakewood.
I think you have nailed the dip pen down.
I guess you have earned the title of FP snob.

By the way nice picture, it looks as if it is floating.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Firefyter-emt

Thanks guys.. I do like the soda can better than a washer I think. If you look quick, you don't even see it.

Oh, and Joe.. It is floating, if you look close, you can see the nib is taped down! ;)

I made a jig today, I had an old "live cup center" that was pretty rusted up, but the bearing was still "OK" I had plans to use the MT-2 shaft as it is threadded to 1/2-20 and if I really want to, I can use any of the things from my metal lathe on the wood lathe. The head threads on so I made a wood block to press into the old head bearing and this block has a nice round indent in it to hold the dip pen after it's been parted. I part "almost" thru the ball end and then carefully cut the center hole part off and shave it down with a sharp chisel. I can how hand sand the ball to shape.

Once this is done, I can return the dip pen to my old pen mandrel with the shaft flipped around. This is kind of like a pin chuck without the pin. I now can sand the pen without worry that the thin ball end will break. I holt it like this right up thru CA and then remove the tailstock and apply a dap of CA by hand and burnish it with BLO. I have always had too much "whip" trying to apply CA on something like this becuase it's too thin. This solved that problem.

Here are a couple photos. The "cap" is fitted over the head a little bit because there is no dust cap on the bearing. I tried to get it out and there is no where to grab it. I plan to turn a new head on my metal lathe and use a smaller bearing and a smaller head. I "might" make the head from brass this time, but that is a summer project!

224081.jpg

224082.jpg

Lee,
Nice dipper... my step son is a real fan of the snake wood... I've made 2 or 3 pens out of it and he's grabbed all of them..

How about posting some pictures of the jig in use.. I think I know how you're using it, but a picture will help.
tks

Firefyter-emt

Thanks guys, I happy with how these look and you can make about five sections from just one pen blank! :D

Chuck & Bill, if I were to do the snakewood gain, I might make the tube 3/4 of it's normal length to keep as much snakewood thick as I can.

Chuck, here are a couple photos with yet another dip pen. This one was made before the snakewood one, but I was not as "crazy" about it as the first one so I made it with another blank. I put it back on the lathe to show you. I am able to sand and finish the pen with it just slipped onto the pen mandrel there is nothing else to "grip" the blank so it's all from the force applied by the "live hole center" I like the ball on the end because it makes a great place to end my CA. I can apply a coat by hand on the ball which works well enough, but a smooth taper would be hard. The center divot was first drilled with a center drill held in the headstock and the wood center in the tailstock. I just held it from spinning by hand. I then put the wood center in the headstock, taped it so it did not spin and tapered the hole out with a skew.

225081.jpg

225082.jpg

225083.jpg

And YES, for those who know me... there is indeed a "mess" around the lathe that has not been cleaned up. My shop vac in in the cellar to clean up some water from all the rain and my wife has not brought it back to me! :(

Top Bottom