Just keep piddling away at it...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rwyoung

rwyoung

I did some more pen piddling this afternoon. Turned a couple more comfort kits and another slimline from Wood-n-Whimsies. Picked out some paduk, sapele and rosewood from my stash of exotics. This is the first time I've used paduk for anything. Also my first attempt at using CA plus rubbing in the shavings to fill the grain. Not a big blowout or anything but after the last pass with the skew I noticed some "divots" that needed filling.

Still just using my flatbed scanner for the pictures so anything more than about 1/8" off the glass is pretty fuzzy. One trick with a flatbed to get the black background is to leave the lid up and scan with the room lights off (dark room). Gets a black background and as a side benefit, you can find EVERY fleck of dust on both sides of the scanner glass! I didn't bother touching up the pictures.

Attachments

• paduk_comfort002.jpg
    paduk_comfort002.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 165
  • sapele_comfort003.jpg
    sapele_comfort003.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 146
  • rosewood_slimline002.jpg
    rosewood_slimline002.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 127

rwyoung

I think it's pretty neat how you use the scanner. And those aren't specs of dust, they're stars shinning.!

I have a good friend that uses his scanner for making his "art". Among other things, he will drag an object or objects along the glass as the scanner head moves. Traces some interesting patterns and shapes that way. Looks nothing like how it started out. Bill doesn't have a web site to show this stuff, he wants to keep it off the web so he can sell them as originals. Less concern over copying.

Also saw a short film about a guy that used a flat bed scanner to make pictures of flowers. One scene, he had a bunch of dried out orchids resting on some plate glass on the scanner. Doused it with lighter fluid and as the scan head went by, he light it. Really amazing looking picture when it was done.

Top Bottom