Just getting started

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from target64

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Pretty nice set of initial pens, Dominic. Be sure to save some of them to look at a year or so from now & see how much you've progressed.

Nothing at all wrong with making "slim" slimlines - I make some like that once in a while too, but I generally prefer leaving a little more meat on the barrels without making too much of a wasp-waisted center. I sometimes use a larger centerband - like the ones from a comfort kit or make my own so I can make a little larger pen with nice proportions. The slimline gives you a lot of flexibility for creativity & variation - don't be afraid to experiment.

Have fun - looks like you are off to a great start!
Edgar

Well done on these pens. You have done well turning them down and not leaving too much material. This skill will serve you well as you move up to more expensive hardware.

Rockytime

<Snip> I sometimes use a larger centerband - like the ones from a comfort kit or make my own so I can make a little larger pen with nice proportions. The slimline gives you a lot of flexibility for creativity & variation - don't be afraid to experiment.

With what do you make your center bands? Do you turn them on a metal lathe? Do you use brass, aluminum, plastic?

The afore mentioned pens do look very nice. I should do so well. I need to make about 30 slim line pens for Christmas gifts so the variations are very nice.

target64

Thanks for the comments. Just for clarification purposes when I say I recently got into pen turning, up until July first I have never owned nor used a lathe.

You're off to a great start! The pens look great! I really like how your cigar pen came out.
The cigar pen is a very special pen. That is the pen I made during a 1 on 1 class with the Wood Butcher. The wife was even told "NO" when she tried to lay claim to it. That is a word she is not accustomed to hearing from me....lol

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
With what do you make your center bands? Do you turn them on a metal lathe? Do you use brass, aluminum, plastic?

I don't want to hijack Dominic's thread, but just to continue the conversation about slimline variations -- I save all my blank cutoffs & sometimes use them to make centerbands - wood, acrylics & corian. I have access to a small metal lathe at work, but haven't tried making my own metal parts yet.

Edgar

Top Bottom