Just for fun....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from woodscavenger

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodscavenger

I just came in from playing in my shop. Too much fun. After the sawdust clear this is what I found.

DSC01821.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fearless

Shane,
Very nice.
If you don't mind my asking, what's the finish?
I'm trying to figure how you guys can crank these babies out so fast.
Also, what's the wood on the bottom right?
I had some dealings with Wayne awhile back and he added a bunch of blanks as a well recieved bonus (thanks again Wayne) and there was one that is just like that.Think it was cut cross grain.
Anyhow, I sure would like to get some more, but, I dont know what it is.
Thanks and once again Great looking pens.
Scott

woodscavenger

Thanks for the replies. To answer some questions.
1) These were not done in one night, but over several days.
2) The woods are starting at the top with big leaf maple burl then from the bottom left to right bigleaf maple burl, blue box elder burl, figured mesquite, buckeye burl, curly koa.
3) the finish on all of these pens are CA/BLO with MM to 12000 except for the mesquite and buckeye which were polished with EEE then several coats of BLO followed by friction polish. I wish I has some TSW or Renaissance wax....next on the list.
4) The blue band.....I used the cutoff left over from the blue BEB. I slapped it in my PSI scroll chuck and rounded it off and squared the end. I measured the I.D. of the black trim ring I replaced and cut a 1/4" deep hole in the end of the cutoff blank to match. The rest of it was on the fly. I cut a bead that "looked right" in height and width. I used my parting tool to get down to just before it separated then I sanded and polished the ring then used a razorknife to finish parting it off.

BTW, glad you noticed the band.

I want some opinions on the buckeye burl shape. I am not sure if I like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom