Just a Foursome of Sketchers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from OKLAHOMAN

OKLAHOMAN

Been trying to perfect my William Young CA finish. These all had 6 coats BLO/CA with no sanding, buffed with white diamond and last a coat of TSW I know these are nothing special just want feedback on the finish...
1_IMG_1432-1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

philb

Look pretty good to me!

Although not quite the gloss that I have seen on some of your previous pens, still a great finish though!

Do you normally use MM?

PHIL

StatProf

I have been using William's finish for a while now. I have found that in order to get the shine that I want, I have to use just a little more CA than he does, especially on the longer blanks like on the sketch pen. Also, when I apply it, I move it real fast and look at it sideways (lengthwise) along the blank and watch the reflection of the light. When the light reflection stops moving and becomes a little hazy, I know that it is now okay to fold the towel over. Doing this, I only have to use about 6 coats and don't need to go to the buffing wheel when I am finished.

Just my $0.02.

StatProf

OKLAHOMAN

Thanks for the comments, Lou that's just what I was trying to achieve, John sorry I should have listed the woods. From left to right Rosewood, Mesquite Burl, Blackwood, and the last Jack Daniels Whiskey barrel Oak from Gary Max..
Stat Prof, I found you can control the "shine" on this method by the amount of CA and also just at the point that it goes from dull to shine on each application of CA the more you burnish the shiner it gets.

Top Bottom