Just finished these today

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KKingery

Status
Not open for further replies.

KKingery

Just finished these 3 today. These are my first attemps at using a finishing wax, rather than poly. The top pic is a 2 color - Poplar on top, and I'm not too sure what the lower half is. The 2nd and 3rd pics are a couple from a PSI combo pack of wood.

20041291387_2%20Color%20Slimline.jpg

200412913820_Experiment.jpg

200412913834_Laminated%20Slimline.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mike_O

They look great!! I really like the the diagonal lamination on the third one. Those are always a favorite of mine and seem to sell well.

tipusnr

I'm a fan of contrast as well. Add to that clean lines and a good finish and you've got the formula for a couple of winners there. Good job!

Scott

Hi Ken,

They're all very nice - a good leap forward in both design and execution! I like the third one the best! It is a real knockout! Thanks for showing!

Scott.

wayneis

Ken it looks like you did a good job on those, good fit and nice smooth finish with a good shine.

In my personal opinion though, I would first stay away with the kits that have the black stripe on the clips. The black chips off and then it does'nt look good any more.

I really do not want to hurt anyone's feelings here is only my personal opinion and speaking from my experence but the curves and bumps to me take away and at least for me has never sold well. I've tried making a few and first of all they all felt unnatural and uncomfortable. There are a couple of the soft grip that I like and feel ok to me but I think because of the softness of the rubber, it has a better feel than solid wood does. When I hold a pen I ten to hold it down close to the nib, not the nib itself but close. With the big bump there I can't get a comfortable grip on the pen. Lastly when I look in the high end store's that sell quality writing instruments, I've never seen any with like this and I guess that I've felt that if thats what people wanted they would have it there to sell to them.

I try to stick to the gentle curves and once in a while on a slim type pen I will put just a very small ridge in front of the nib, just enough to keep someones grip from sliding down.

It is not my intention to hurt anyone's feelings and I really put a lot of thought in what I said for a long time before I desided to write the last part of my opinion. But many here has said that they wanted constructive opinions so I guess that I'm hoping that they meant it.

Wayne

PenWorks

Wayne, have you ever scene an ugly baby? [:D]

But since we are talking pens and not babies...... I enjoy the truthfull, funny, creative critism as well. I would not want someone to look at my work and sugar coat a response. I look to this group for such critism. I mean who else can judge our work , but our peers. What does your neighbor know about pen turning and he won't tell you the truth because he wants a free pen.I can dish it out with the best of them, but I can take it as well. [:D]

I to am not a fan of curves and bumps, more traditional lines, but there seems to be this egronomical thing going on and if it works for them then that's great. [8D]

Since we bearing our souls, I like the last one,first one and middle in that order.

The point on the clip is just the facts, not very durable.

Sorry, but I am not thinking, just typing fast in between phone calls.

Good job [:)] Anthony

PS: I starting this post about 10 minutes ago, most people know I am not found of slim line pens, I just finished a pen sale to a lady wanting five gifts, she bought 5 slim lines! [:)]

Fred in NC

Hehe Anthony! There you go, the customer is always right. . .

In general I have to agree with the above views. Most of my pens are made to be sold. However....

I like to experiment and make artistic pens that are not intended for sale. And there is no telling what a particular customer will like. Most of my sales are very traditional shapes. mmm I said "most."

Some people have problems holding a pen, so the ones with the little bump or bumps (ergonomic) do sell. I have sold several, and always have a few in my stock.

And, just like everything else, the only way to learn how to make pens is making them !!! I am still learning, and will continue to experiment.

Just my $.00345.

tipusnr

I like the bumps and curves and those are the pens that have sold for me the best. Mainly because you can't by one like it in the stores around here. It keeps the pen obviously unique. The straight slimlines I have done have not drawn as much attention (or as much money).

Don't know why that is and could have something to do with the enthusiasm with which I present the two different types. But that's the other side of the coin.

KKingery

Hey, I appreciate all of the comments. Does'nt hurt my feelings a bit. As a newbie, I really benefit from the comments and experiences that everyone shares. Most of what I try to make just seems to flow out. Personally, I hate skinny feeling pens. I'm a big guy, with big hands and I like the feel of the bigger barrel at the end. (Just my personal preference). And I thank you for the insight about the pen kits / clips. Since I'm still learning, I just prefer to buy the less expensive kits. If I screw it up, I aint lost that much!

I am going to expand though, and try some other designs. I'm starting to like the looks of the Polaris, etc...single barrel pens. Those will be in my next order. The few pens that I have sold, have all been with the larger barrel design, and even the curly pen I made awhile back. The flat barrels have'nt done a thing. Now I'm no artist, and certainly not a mass producer looking to capture a share of the store bought Watermans, etc...I'm just a guy enjoying a new hobby, and if I sell a few, that's all the better.

Any experience and knowledge I gain from here, only helps!

KKingery

Also, let's not forget - Myself, like alot of other "newbies" are just getting strted. I have no bandsaw - cut all my blanks by hand : Have no disc sander - sand everything by hand : Only have a small drill press that won't even drill the blanks all the way through - have to "manipulate" the blanks up the bit to get them drilled : - We all start somewhere, and gain from those willing to share and teach us!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom