Just a couple - New IBO Pics

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DCBluesman

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
This one is for me, so I finished it to my taste. The hardware is from Jeff Demand via Jim Cunningham (jrc). It's my tribute to Ollipeist.

200832115157_IBODetail.jpg

2008321151613_Ollipeist.jpg

And one for a new client.

2008321151714_JacksonJigsaw.jpg

2008321151734_JacksonJigsaw2.jpg

Thanks to all for looking and particularly for those who offer comments and critiques.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
OK Lou, in our new spirit of "look for something that actually will be a critique": I notice that the puzzle LOOKS slightly large. Is it? IF so, is that because you don't want to turn it too thin?? I have only done one puzzle pen to completion, but Dawn has glued up a couple that I will have to turn - your input will be appreciated!!!

Oh, Nice pens, good job!!!!:D:D:D

Bog oak, wenge or black palm?

rherrell

Very nice, Lou. I like the way you turned the wood next to the metal parts. When that hardware was first posted I remember commenting that the transition from metal to wood needed a little work. You handled it quite well.[8D]:D

gerryr

Lou, the first two photos are over-exposed by maybe as much as a full stop. The puzzle pen photos look a hair too light, the end cap fading into the background.

The pens look great otherwise.

negid

Both are lovely. I really wish I could afford one of those dragon sets.

What wood did you go with on the dragon pen?

Edit: Oops. Didn't see where Ed already asked.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thank you for all of the comments. Ed, I don't think the puzzle pen is underturned, but here's a blow up for your consideration.

200832116857_JacksonJigsaw3.jpg

The wood is Irish bog oak. I only WISH it were black palm or wenge.

Gerry - Right on, I will try to get better pictures this evening. I never have very good luck photographing bog oak, but I think this is "operator error"!

The cast silver pieces are extremely well-crafted, fit perfectly and, in my (never) humble opinion, well worth the price. Now I just need to find an appropriate piece for inserting the post to make it a desk pen.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Lou,

With regard to the puzzle pen, thank-you. I have finished one and have two more to turn before our first craft show (Mid-April).

The bog oak really does look like wenge or black palm, I expected it was from your "gorgeous Irish oak" bin, but was unsure.

Thanks again, I will now embark on turning the puzzles (Just finishing an "Old Glory" Jr. Gent tonight), so on to the next "challenge".

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Hey Lou, as you were the one to mention Olli' then you have to continue the myth. Olli escaped from St Pat ( You) and ended up just across the water to Wales ( Me);)

He's a bit too old to fly himself anymore, so just stick him in the post please.. :D

NPGJ BTW[}:)]

Tanner

Beautiful Lou! I was wondering what wood would go good with the Dragon set. Now I know. I hope you don't mind if I flatter you and use IBO for one of my Dragon sets. I really like the natural as well. How did you finish the IBO?

OKLAHOMAN

Lou,as expected of you both pens great workmanship and agree with Mark on the IBO and metal work,just wish the nib on the IBO was clearer.

VisExp

Beautiful pens. I especially like the "tenons" you have at the center band of the Dragon Set. I think the transition through that whole area works very well like that. I was wondering how the pen would have looked if you had done something similar at the nib? Maybe not quite as pronounced.

VisExp

Thanks also for the education :) After reading your post, I just had to google Ollipeist. For those interested this is what I found:

Ollipeist2
Alternative Names: Ollepheist, Ollipheist
Type/Species: Unknown
Origin: Irish Folktale

History: Ollipeist is perhaps the most famous of the Irish Dragon. When St. Patrick arrived, the first thing he did was rid the land of snakes. Soon after, he began imprisioning dragons.

It was then that Ollipeist decided to flee Ireland. As he fled, he managed to cut a furrow into the ground. Later this became known as the Shannon Valley.

Symbolism: Ollipeist fled because of the deminishing dragon population. This story shows how the Irish felt towards dragons at the time, but Ollipeist himself offers little symbolism.

Physical Description: Unknown. It has been suggested that he was much like a celtic dragon.

PR_Princess

Originally posted by skiprat

Hey Lou, as you were the one to mention Olli' then you have to continue the myth. Olli escaped from St Pat ( You) and ended up just across the water to Wales ( Me);)

He's a bit too old to fly himself anymore, so just stick him in the post please.. :D

NPGJ BTW[}:)]

"Splendidly glowing in the late evening sun
The red kite spins and puts on a show
He really knows how to have some fun
He’s the red kite, the colour of Wales
The path of his flight writes a song in the skies
The Welsh Dragon’s tongue is in the fork of his tail
Power and beauty clash as he flies "

HEY you two!!!! Now I'm cheesed off!! No fair nicking our dragons!!! Put 'em back!!! :D:D[}:)][}:)]

PR_Princess

Very nice pens, Lou. I agree that the bog oak works very well with the sterling fittings. I can see why you would want to keep that one for yourself!! The combination makes a very unique pen...one might say even a pretty one.[}:)]:D[:p]

As for the puzzle, I am certain that your new client will turn into a repeat one after recieving it. Great workmanship, and finish - as always!! :D:D[:p]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thanks, again, particularly to Gerry for calling me on my lousy photos of the IBO pen. I was too lazy this morning to set everything up. I know better, but the [}:)] made me do it! New Photos.

2008321225715_Ollipeist2.jpg

2008321225832_Ollipeist3.jpg

Steven - Never mind Olli being too old to fly, I'm too old and lazy to post him to Wales!

Carl - The whole point of this one is I made it the way -I- want. I'll be happy to keep this one.

Tanner - I'm flattered and never offended when anyone uses my work as a starting point. IBO is a PIA to finish. This one has about 8 layers of sanding sealer, most of which were sanded off. The final coat was run through the buffer, then hand knocked-down with Micro-mesh 2400.

The transition at the centerband and the nib is not perfect, but I find it pleasing enough to the eye. The transition at the nib is almost unnoticeable to the touch.

Dawn - Olli is simply borrowed...remember, he FLED Ireland so as not to be imprisoned by St. Patrick. At least he left the amazingly beautiful Shannon Valley as a parting gift. And thank you for commenting on my pretty, wood pens. [8D]

If any of you want to try your own "dragon" pens, email jdemand at gmavt dot net. He's a heckuva craftsman!

GaryMGg

I've got nothing new to add but would be remiss not to offer my compliments to the
craftsman who made these two pens. Very nice workmanship. Anyone would be proud to
own those. [8D]

Top Bottom