Just a couple more!!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from sumterdad

sumterdad

I wanted to make a pen for a customer of mine and well ended up making 2 of them. These two blanks came from brooks803 (not sure if yall know him) lol. Anyway he sent me a little package and it had these in it. Not sure if the acrylic is his or not. He didn't say so Thanks Jonathon:biggrin:
The wood blank is Goncalo alves. I rather like this wood it turned out to be a pretty color. Let me know what Yall think. I started to put the red tip on and a blue clip. Might try this one day.

Attachments

• 2011-09-27_21-16-40_402.jpg
    2011-09-27_21-16-40_402.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 169
  • 2011-09-27_21-17-40_426.jpg
    2011-09-27_21-17-40_426.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 124
  • 2011-09-27_21-23-39_129.jpg
    2011-09-27_21-23-39_129.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 105
  • 2011-09-27_21-18-37_974.jpg
    2011-09-27_21-18-37_974.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 128
  • 2011-09-27_21-22-48_570.jpg
    2011-09-27_21-22-48_570.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 127
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Buzzzz4

Finish looks good. I would keep working on that fit before working on getting customers. one thing you can do is if you find you overturned the nib like you did on the acrylic, you can tap out the nib and sand back or trim back the nib end of the barrel for a perfect fit. That's what is nice about slims, you can fix the oops a whole lot easier. Keep it up. You're getting there.

sumterdad

Finish looks good. I would keep working on that fit before working on getting customers. one thing you can do is if you find you overturned the nib like you did on the acrylic, you can tap out the nib and sand back or trim back the nib end of the barrel for a perfect fit. That's what is nice about slims, you can fix the oops a whole lot easier. Keep it up. You're getting there.

I am sorry I should have been more pacific on what I was saying. It is not for a buying customer for pens it is for a customer in my plumbing. Company I know that I am no where near ready to sell my pens. I just like handing them out for now. As you all know them may not see the little imperfections but I know they are there.

Brooks803

I still think you're off to a hell of a start Chris! Your CA finish is getting much better. I mighta done that black a while back, I know I didn't make all that I sent you though. So it could be someone elses.

sumterdad

I still think you're off to a hell of a start Chris! Your CA finish is getting much better. I mighta done that black a while back, I know I didn't make all that I sent you though. So it could be someone elses.

Thanks I think I think it is coming along pretty good. I just really enjoy it. I have had other hobbies but this one is probably my favorite :biggrin:

Justturnin

I would do what Eric suggested about sanding them back if you over turn but you can also build up a little CA so you dont have to sand back so far. What I like to do is sand down to the bushings then go a little further then I just kiss the wood at the bushing with a homemade parting tool from a sawzall blabe to to take it just below the bushings. Then I CA the pen up until my Calipers will not go around it. I clean the bushing off and seperate it from the blank that way if it is going to stick I can fix prior to sanding. Sometimes a light tap around the bushing w/ some pliers will break the glue free. Then I take my parting tool and clean all of the CA off the bushing then I sand the lip away wet w/ 600 grit. When I am getting close I stop every once in a while and test w/ the calipers. Once it is on I move to the next blank if it is two pieces. When they are very close but not to far I move to MM. I like to take it to final w/ the 1500 then light on all the rest not to remove material just cover scratches.
Going to state the obvious here:
When setting my calipers I am using the actual pen parts that will touch the wood to get my gap not the bushings. So even though the Slimline Nib and clip should be the same each has its place and is sanded to fit.

I have turned maybe 20 complete pens but have tossed close to 100 tubes because I messed them up.

After I sand a piece down I take it inside to my desk and sit w/ it in my hands for a while. This way I will feel any ridges that may need a 2nd time w/ MM. Once I am happy with the finish I caliper it again and put her together.

And super nice pens. All of your pens have looked great. Much better than my first few. I have 3 of my first 25. The rest were thrown in a bucket to have the brass removed if ever need it.

Top Bottom