Just Another Rebar Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Sylvanite

Sylvanite

I picked up a piece of half-inch rebar a while back, and finally got around to making a pen from it. Upon discovering that 1/2" is a bit small for most pen styles (I should have bought 5/8" instead), I went searching through my kits to find one that would fit. The gel-click kit looked like it would work, and since I haven't made one of those before either, I decided to give it a try.

I turned down the centerband to tube-flush and pressed them together - converting the kit to a single barrel. Then I cut the rebar to length, drilled it, and turned the ends down to match the kit hardware. I powdercoated the rebar in smoke chrome color, assembled the parts, and this is the result:

attachment.php

I think it would look better with chrome fittings, but gold was all I had. Still, it was an interesting experience.

I hope you like it,
Eric

Attachments

• RebarClickPen.jpg
    RebarClickPen.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 2,597
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seamus7227

thats looks pretty cool! I bet that would look awesome with a bluing effect to it! Did turn the ends down with a metal lathe or is that a stupid question? LOL

Woodlvr

Wow. Great looking pen, I think that I agree about using Chrome instead. How hard is the rebar to drill? The rebar almost looks to clean to be real.

Sylvanite

I bet that would look awesome with a bluing effect to it! Did turn the ends down with a metal lathe or is that a stupid question? LOL

Well, I was going to blue the rebar, but I couldn't find the bottle of cold bluing solution I thought I had. I might have powdercoated in clear except where I turned down the ends, the rebar was bright and no amount of buffing would bring up the same color on the rest. So, I broke down and powdercoated in smoke chrome - the closest color match I have on hand. The color almost matches the original rebar (if it were clean and shiny).

I had originally planned on buffing the gold plating off the kit parts as well. In fact, I did buff the centerband (before turning it down) to the chrome. The plating, however, held up much better than I've seen on other kits. I wasn't sure I could get all the gold off the clip so I just let it be.

I did drill and turn it on a metal lathe. It was just easier that way. The tailstock on my wood lathe tends to slide when drilling steel. The drill bit was shorter than the barrel so I had to drill from both ends. I really should have repointed the bit (118 degree) to a 135 degree split-point first. It would have cut cooler and easier.

Regards,
Eric

SDB777

I know it has the hole drilled through, I just can't imagine doing it...WOW!

BTW, what is the weight on this finished piece?

Scott

SDB777

BTW, what is the weight on this finished piece?
It's a fairly heavy pen, but not unwieldly so. My postal scale weighs it at 70g (2.5oz) - a bit more than a snakewood cigar (60g) but not as massive as a real 50BMG pen (100g).

Regards,
Eric

For some reason, I would have thought it heavier....cool!

Bet it's a winner with concrete working guys?

Scott

Sylvanite

I made another one at a customer's request. He runs a company that makes rebar and sent me a piece with his trademark on it to use.

attachment.php
attachment.php

I switched to chrome hardware, and finished the rebar with smoke chrome powdercoat and a clear topcoat.

I hope you like it,
Eric

Attachments

• RebarPenFront.jpg
    RebarPenFront.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 1,110
  • RebarPenBack.jpg
    RebarPenBack.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 731

WWAtty

Those rebar pens are incredible! Nicely done.

There are probably more than a few civil engineers who would love to have one of those.

Top Bottom