Just Another Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mark james

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Very nice Mark. I must admire those of you who have the patience to do those intricate and detailed segmenting.
BTW, is the pen one of those with the screw on parts. The PSI "no Press" version of the executive. I must say I've made several now and really like them.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Very nice Mark. I must admire those of you who have the patience to do those intricate and detailed segmenting.
BTW, is the pen one of those with the screw on parts. The PSI "no Press" version of the executive. I must say I've made several now and really like them.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Hi Don. Thank you for the kind remarks; (and I hate snakes, but admire the blanks!)

No, The Executive Kits I have are still press. While I like the kit as the blank is a bit longer and I can show more of the Chevrons, the fit is very tight on both ends and I file the components down for an easier assembly. I have several of these blanks (6 hrs in) that split on assembly, so I don't take a chance, and I always put a solid end cap.

I should try the "No Press" versions - nice suggestion.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Ah, um, Am I seeing what you claimed as a mismatch on a previous pen to be a feature on this pen?

The dark and light are alternating intentionally all the way through. Well done! Beautiful and skillfully done. Not "hand crafted", but an Artistic Creation!

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Ah, um, Am I seeing what you claimed as a mismatch on a previous pen to be a feature on this pen?

The dark and light are alternating intentionally all the way through. Well done! Beautiful and skillfully done. Not "hand crafted", but an Artistic Creation!

Actually, the walnut and maple alternate segments are what I wanted this time! Still need to tweek a few aspects, but OK for now.

magpens

That is a truly beautiful pen, Mark !!! . Well done, and Congratulations !!!!!

It is another Executive, which you seem to like a lot; and I never cease to be amazed how successful you seem to be with the Executive give the facts that the blank-end material is so thin, and that your chevron blanks are quite fragile (I would think, anyway).

I realize that the solid end rings in your design help to alleviate this potential problem.

EDIT: The No-Press version of this kit exaggerates the problem because the brass tube with threads is thicker than the original brass. . I have not actually tried the No-Press Executive, but I have made several of the No-Press Diva Charm kits and what I said is true for them.

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
It is another Executive, which you seem to like a lot; and I never cease to be amazed how successful you seem to be with the Executive give the facts that the blank-end material is so thin, and that your chevron blanks are quite fragile (I would think, anyway).

I realize that the solid end rings in your design help to alleviate this potential problem.

EDIT: The No-Press version of this kit exaggerates the problem because the brass tube with threads is thicker than the original brass. .

Shoot, I thought there was an easy fix with the No-Press version :frown:, but I appreciate your input Mal.

You are correct on the thin ends of the Executive Kit. I have about a 90% success rate to keeping the segments from splitting on assembly if I file the components to an easy fit.

Yes, I do struggle with the dimensions for these segmented blanks, and look for longer blanks (to display the patterns) and a thicker shoulder to assist with keeping the segments together.

Gratefully, these are made for fun/stress reduction rather than to pay the bills. If that was the case, wifey would have tossed me, and we'd be broke!!!

Your comments are very helpful. Thank you.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
"these are made for fun/stress reduction" .... are you serious, Mark ?

Gosh, I am not even going to try to imagine the other stressors in your life !!!! LOL

Actually, yes, my pen turning/blank making is needed therapy. (Segmenting has been a great distraction from...issues)

Three elderly parents 87, 92, 93. No need to go into each's issues, but since I'm retired I can help. My wife is still working and her head is ready to explode.

No complaints, as this is life and we are in decent shape to assist; but the stress is still there.

IAP has been a godsend for me the past 6 years!

magpens

I understand fully, Mark ... and you have 3 times more stressors than I do !

I find IAP and pen making a HUGE haven also !

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
I absolutely love and admire the precision you strive for and reach, with your designs. :biggrin:
Next, I want to see chevrons spiraling around the blank......:wink:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I absolutely love and admire the precision you strive for and reach, with your designs. :biggrin:

Been thinking about that after you first mentioned it. Just haven't had the time yet. Maybe after I get back home.

Thank you for the kind comments.

magpens

I can do that if I get the chevrons ... or learn to make them.

studioseven

Mark, Beautiful work. I just started making simple segmented blanks. Just curious as to how you cut the small pieces of the segments? Do you have a home built sled? And do you use a table saw or band saw or both?

Seven

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Mark, Beautiful work. I just started making simple segmented blanks. Just curious as to how you cut the small pieces of the segments? Do you have a home built sled? And do you use a table saw or band saw or both?

Seven

Hi Duane (Seven):

Edit: I thought I recognized your name - I printed your MPG name tag out yesterday. I am on the demo schedule to show how to make these, so if you have any questions just hunt me down!

Link #2 shows most of the assembly process: http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/another-pen-153836/

Some additional info here: http://content.penturners.org/library/pen_blanks/chevron_blank.pdf

I have cut the slices on both a regular table saw, and on a Byrnes small table top saw. Both work with a 45 degree sled.

Attachments

• IMG_3517.jpg
    IMG_3517.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_3518.jpg
    IMG_3518.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_3519.jpg
    IMG_3519.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:

wood128

I just received in the mail today one of Mark's "just another pen " chevron pens . Mine had green/white veneer in the chevrons. Thanks a lot Mark for the beautiful constructed segmented pen. Those chevron pieces are really small and the alignment is very accurate . Fun job !! Continue with your skills and develop more designs.

Joe

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I just received in the mail today one of Mark's "just another pen " chevron pens . Mine had green/white veneer in the chevrons. Thanks a lot Mark for the beautiful constructed segmented pen. Those chevron pieces are really small and the alignment is very accurate . Fun job !! Continue with your skills and develop more designs.

Joe

Glad it got there Joe, I'll post some pictures of it and the process. As I mentioned, what I have been playing with is in great part due to you, so Thank You!

Top Bottom