Just another experiment

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from alamocdc

Status
Not open for further replies.

alamocdc

I saturated about 70 pieces of AF issue desert camo material in marine epoxy and pressed them into a custom made wooden mold. FWIW, Skye said it wouldn't look good. When it cured, I cut a piece and turned this Satin Nickel Sierra. As the skew cut through the material I noticed an interesting look and a rather tactile feel so I decided to leave it like that. It was a real pain and I'm not sure I'll do this often, but... The design in the fabric under the clip and on the opposite side is due to the plastic gutter screen that I put on the top and bottom before pressing.

200612135316_sierraSN_desert_camo.jpg

As always, feel free to hammer away. I think I'll give this to the guy that gave me the uniform so we can see how it holds up.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Home made Fibermascus.That was the impetus ogf the "home rolled denim pen".
I aint crazy about working with resins when I have Ca at hand.[:D]
Some one else has been doing this .I recall a fabric blank with a piece of wood put at the bottom so the fabiric would have "bump in it"I can't recall who did it but it has been posted since August.

alamocdc

Originally posted by ctEaglesc
<br />Home made Fibermascus.That was the impetus ogf the "home rolled denim pen".
Yep. I got the idea from one of our members, but I can't remember who. But he uses casting resin for his. I decided to try the epoxy since I have plenty on hand. Personally, I like our "home rolled" blanks better and will likely use that more than this. I just wanted to give it a try. And I'm glad I did. If you never try new methods and techniques, you never learn anything.[;)]

alamocdc

Tommy, I made the press out of scrap hardwood. I built the frame to the size I wanted, then a bottom to it. I made a cardboard template for the size and cut all the fabric pieces to fit. I used another piece of hardwood for the top and pressed it all together using woodworking clamps. I lined the mold with packing tape to keep it from sticking, but it didn't work except on the top and bottom. [?] So I had to cut the frame off on my table saw. If I do this again, and I think I will with some diffrent fabric (yes, I had another idea), I will line the mold with plastic wrap.

txcwboy

I make my denim pens the same way but with 2 boards,wax paper and a C clamps. I want to find something other than fiberglass resin thats clear .Fiberglass resin is kinda purplish and would discolor my white fabric I want to use.

Dave

M

Mudder

Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />[
Yep. I got the idea from one of our members, but I can't remember who. But he uses casting resin for his.

Most likely Cameron Potter?

http://www.penturners.org/content/CompressedFibreBlanks.pdf

He also made a bracelet from the stuff:

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15005

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />Tommy, I made the press out of scrap hardwood. I built the frame to the size I wanted, then a bottom to it. I made a cardboard template for the size and cut all the fabric pieces to fit. I used another piece of hardwood for the top and pressed it all together using woodworking clamps. I lined the mold with packing tape to keep it from sticking, but it didn't work except on the top and bottom. [?] So I had to cut the frame off on my table saw. If I do this again, and I think I will with some diffrent fabric (yes, I had another idea), I will line the mold with plastic wrap.
Why bother lining the mopld at all?
Make your mold out of scrap wood,use 3/4 stock for the ends.I would glue up luan using thick CA for the sides and bottom.You don't need a top,just something to act as a "press"
With 3/4 stock on the ends you can mark center, turn off the outside,and drill on the lathe.
You don't need to release it from the mold.
If neccessasry put the packing tape on the OPUTSIDE to stop any leakage.(I would use the plaim stuff to seal and the stuff with the string to stop it from slapying apart when pressure is exerted.
The mold is expendable since it is made out of scrap.Dimensions don't need to be critical since the accuarcy will come into play once you turn it.
My .02

Skye

Originally posted by alamocdc FWIW, Skye said it wouldn't look good.

OOooooook now, I said it wouldent look good if you wanted ot to look like camo BDU when done. Still dont think 'camo' when I look at it, but I like it. Reminds me of a cross cut curly dyed wood, if that's possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom