Just another Desert Ironwood pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CSue

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
I finished it. I think it came out nice. I wish I'd had another pen kit. But I really wanted to turn this DI blank. So what'd you all think.

Attachments

• DSCN1965-1.JPG
    DSCN1965-1.JPG
    218.8 KB · Views: 951

phillywood

Cathy, beautiful looking pen, and I love the proportions of the blank and the curves you have made, unlike some of the pens that look they are giving birth to a new pen. Yours look very nice and the kit looks beatiful with it.

maxman400

It looks Great, I really like the contrasting silver with the wood. I have 3 or 4 of these blanks and seeing yours makes me want to skip work and go to the shop instead.

wizard

Cathy, It's a gorgeous pen just the way it is! I have never worked with Desert Ironwood but you just inspired me to try! Beautiful job!! Regards,Doc

aggromere

For some reason my favorite wood pen combo is a sedona with DI. I think that's because I lived in Arizona for a while. You did a great job and the pen looks wonderful. Sedona Siver with Desert Ironwood, don't get any classier than that!

bitshird

Cathy, the wood is beautiful and the finished pen is gorgeous, I haven't seen much DIW lately with very much grain pattern, yours is wonderful!!

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
This may sound stupid, but I must ask it.

Is there a specific desert that ironwood comes from?

johnnycnc sent me a free blank along with some bushings I ordered. I'm turning an FP from it now after seeing the couple that have been recently posted here, and I just know when I tell someone it is "desert ironwood", they are going to ask from which desert!

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
This may sound stupid, but I must ask it.

Is there a specific desert that ironwood comes from?

johnnycnc sent me a free blank along with some bushings I ordered. I'm turning an FP from it now after seeing the couple that have been recently posted here, and I just know when I tell someone it is "desert ironwood", they are going to ask from which desert!

A long time to wait for an answer. Sorry about that. The DIW I use on most of my DI pens comes from the Sonoran Desert, here in the Southwest US and down into Mexico a bit.

There are Ironwood plants throughout the world, all in desert habitat. I've seen DIW from the Mojave. Each area has their own color variations

maxman400

Great Looking Pen, I have a chunk of DI and you have inspired me to turn it and see what comes out. Thanks for sharing Cathy.

seamus7227

Nice work Cathy! What type of finish did you use?! The Sedona is such a classy looking pen kit and very versatile with a variety of blanks!

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
My finish? It's complicated. I don't do the CA finish. It's a build up of a few different types of waxes and oils that I've worked on over a few years. If you are really interested, pm me.

The finish lasts quite well - no one has come back for "another coat."

Last edited:

Hubert H

You say, "Just another Desert Ironwood pen" - I say wow! Desert Ironwood isn't as easy to turn as some wood but you sure did a nice job. HWH

terryf

ag no really Cathy Sue - Im getting a little bored of all the DIW on here - you should try something more interesting like Ash or Elm :tongue::tongue:

Lovely pen Cathy, I cant get enough of this stuff no matter what the kit. Thanks for sharing! :)

jskeen

I'm glad to see this thread get resurrected 9 months or so later so I can ask "How's that finish holding up on this pen?" Have you seen it recently? Does it get used regularly, or is it a display piece? How's this finish holding up, and do you still do it, or have you tweaked the formula any?

Inquiring minds want to know :)

wizard

As I said before ...a Beautiful pen made with some gorgeous wood!! I think it looks great with that kit and contrasting color. It really makes the wood stand out. Thanks for sharing. Doc

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
I'm glad to see this thread get resurrected 9 months or so later so I can ask "How's that finish holding up on this pen?" Have you seen it recently? Does it get used regularly, or is it a display piece? How's this finish holding up, and do you still do it, or have you tweaked the formula any?

Inquiring minds want to know :)

Matter of fact, this pen is used quite often, carried loose in a shirt pocket during most days and sitting on a display other days. The finish is really quite well. its polished up with a soft cloth every once in awhile. No wax or other finish added. But when it's needed, it will be Renasaince wax. (Please forgive my spelling errors.)

The finish has been the same for a few years now. I tried to tweak it a bit. But then got tired of it. Don't fix what aint broke, ya know?

Top Bottom