Junior Emperors in M3 Damascus Steel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TurnaPen

TurnaPen

This pair of Junior Emperors in M3 Damascus Steel, the rollerball cap slightly overturned and is the "special feauture" incorporated to be able to identify which is the rollerball!:)wet sanded to 15000 and then finished with Nuvite11 Cut and Nuvite11 Polish. The Jnr Emperors are in Rhodium finish fittings. Amos:)

200832793634_JnrEmp1.jpg

200832793655_jnremp2.jpg

200832793711_JnrEmp3.jpg

200832793729_JnrEmp4.jpg

200832793745_Jnremp5.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

Very nice, I give you credit for turning those. They were probablly the hardest blanks I turned. I mean I have sharp tools, but at times I thought I was using a butter knife to cut them. :D The bronze ones cut easy, but the damscus are harder than a woodpeckers beak.
Also, while I think one pen is very attractive, the other is very bland looking. I have notice some inconsistency in this material as far as the mixture of the patterns.

Rifleman1776

The rollerball one looks like a hunk of steel and has a bad case of the ugs, IMHO. The fountain has interesting figure. I'm a fan of Damascus steel in knives and barrels of traditional style muzzle loading guns. But, in pens, for me, it just doesn't 'work'. I also have to wonder about weight in the hand. Your work is fine and you are thinking outside the box but these just don't catch my fancy.

karlkuehn

Banned
Come on, Amos, you could of at least turned a couple beads and coves in there. Oooh, and a captured ring! heh [:p]:D

Seriously, though, those are cool looking, and I bet they feel good in the hand. What on earth did you use to turn and polish them? Don't they make katanas out of that stuff?

Ditto what Frank said.

Great execution on the pens, but the material does not look like the Damascus I work with in my Japanese chisels or other similar tools....seems more like a blended casting than a true folded steel "look".

Just being honest...:)

I know they are expensive, I am sure they will do well, but I am not sure I'd market them as Damascus steel

Tanner

They look great!!! But I do have to agree with Anthony relative to the one looking kind of bland. Not enough black swirls in there. I have a couple of these waiting for me to turn. I hope mine look like the one with more black in it.[:0]

TurnaPen

Thanks for those comments, I appreciate the honesty from you all. Yes they were VERY hard to turn; the "Damascus Steel" were advertised as Damascus steel(stainless steel/black iron) blend, so I am fairly sure that both blanks were one and the same, and I noted the different patterns in them as I turned them, since they were fairly expensive blanks I went ahead and used what I had, i thought that the rhodium finish would suit best, I did contemplate a gold finish on the fittings, but then it just seemed to attract attention to the fittings over the blanks! Actually, in presence there is an attractive depth to both pens. It was good to get constructive advice. Amos:)

wjskip

Great work on the pens. The work that was required to turn those was extensive. I have used those blanks in the past and spent almost as much time sharpening my tools as i did turning. I have also had the same problem that you had in that the color variation was not consistant. When you get a good blank it is stunning. When you dont it is just APITB and a waste of good tool steel. IMHO.

TurnaPen

I have had several ask the weight of these pens, yes they are much heavier than wood, but their beauty would make them ideal signing off pens in an office, i.e. signing off contracts, certificates and the such like. Amos:)

Top Bottom