Jumping into kitless

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mlconnelly

mlconnelly

Got to spend a day with Jonathon (Brooks803) a few weeks ago. He is helping me expand my pen making horizons. One of the things we worked on was a kitless pen. We made this pen out of one of his "reject" blanks. (If you look very closely you can see a couple of tiny bubbles. He sets the bar pretty high.) The section is ebonite. I love the black swirls in the translucent blue. Needless to say I am hooked and headed full tilt into this new chapter of my pen making journey. He also gave me some helpful hints with my camera and light booth.

Attachments

• P6070589 (Copy).JPG
    P6070589 (Copy).JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 230
  • P6070588 (Copy).JPG
    P6070588 (Copy).JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 207
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

WOW Mike,

You're on a roll. That's a great looking custom/kitless pen. So, you've started doing casting, stabilizing, dying and now kitless. When do you get your metal lathe? :bulgy-eyes:

It's great to have a teacher for these thing. And I've had more than a few pointers from Jonathon on casting and even kitless. In fact he gave me a few pointers for the pen in my avatar.

But I didn't get shop time, all mine has been by phone. He's a good teacher though.

Last edited:

mlconnelly

Thanks Bob,

Jonathon is a great teacher and very giving of his time and talent. Needless to say he did most of the work while I asked tons of questions and took notes feverishly.

Brooks803

Your photos are looking great! Y'all are welcome to come back anytime. We really did cram a whole bunch of stuff in a single day. The pen looks great and I'm happy you got to come out and learn a few things. Btw, those cookies didn't last long!

mlconnelly

Thanks Jonathon, we will bring more cookies next time. I will also throw in some smoked pork and sauce so we can compare recipes.

Top Bottom